Preventing sky marks

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Seem to be prone to occasionally getting under the ball with my fairway and hybrid which leads to sky marks on the club! How do I prevent this?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are either teeing the ball too high or coming down too steeply into the ball. You. Can put tape on top of the club but not on the face. If you put it on the face the club will not be legal in competitions.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't tee the ball high at all. Sometimes occurs after hitting off the deck! Seems like I fat it, go under the ball if ground is soft and then left with idiot marks!!!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't want to sound smart/smug, but your question is specific. Only ways to prevent it that I can see is 1) tape it up or 2) get a better swing. I don't tape mine and do not have a consistent swing so accept that over time I may risk a sky mark.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just ordinary sellotape is fine, my mate Dave swears by his, had it on his 915 three wood since he got it.....

I've followed Suit

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
black electrical tape works very well - especially if you have black heads on your woods and hybrids

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What tape should I use?

Yes I do fade the ball (used to draw it?)!

In that case you probably have an out to in downswing which will be steeper than 'normal'.
Fix the swingpath and that will flatten out the angle of attack.
That will hit the ball further and straighter and stop the sky marks.
Or just use black tape
You might also want to check your ball position

MC72

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Video your swing face on, (basic video with your phone) and look at what's happening. It may be the case that you're swaying rather than turning which could be causing the bottom of your arc to change (or be inconsistent), which would probably account for inconsistent strikes and possibly explain sky marks.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
MC72 - I was swaying back which I have tried to prevent by moving the right knee in slightly and rotate against it. This seemed to work well on my last round and no fat shots. This may be the problem as fat shots were a problem.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only skim read this but .... Are you guys taping up your woods to protect them from sky marks? Surly all your doing is making them look nasty but nice for the person you sell them to at a hugely reduced cost?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I only skim read this but .... Are you guys taping up your woods to protect them from sky marks? Surly all your doing is making them look nasty but nice for the person you sell them to at a hugely reduced cost?

but cheaper still if they have a great big sky mark on ?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Go see your local pro I'm sure he'll sort it for you!
Could be a few things -
1) You're trying to lash the **** of the ball - meaning you lose all rhythm and motion of the swing
2) You're ball position is slightly off.
3) Your swing goes off plane in the downswing
4) Check to see you're not swaying and ensure that you are rotating correctly!