Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

I’m guessing you must be a Man Utd fan because only someone wearing huge red tinted glasses would even suggest that their backline is good enough

The GK makes monumental mistakes and is close to being one of the worst in the league ( same at Chelsea )

The left back isn’t good enough and doesn’t stay fit enough

Maguire is hugely overrated- headless chicken who can’t pass water
The Swedish bloke just isn’t quick enough , strong enough or commanding enough to be in a backline to win the title - their best CB is out on loan

The right back is very good defensively - Bambi on ice going forward

Chelsea’s backline even worse

If neither team purchases any defenders then they won’t challenge for the title. Liverpool won the title because of their backline being head and shoulders above any other team in the league.

I agree that Yerniteds back 4 isnt as good as others and certainly not the best in te PL like Slime once famously posted ?

Throw stats around as much as you like, I've watched Yernited enough this season to see Maguire is hugely overrated and will certainly get exposed in the coming seasons. He's not great on the ball, his positioning is poor and its proved by Way too many last min tackles.

Liverpool won the league because all over the pitch they were the best. Most consistent team by far and they had Lord Jordan Brian Henderson FWPOTY ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Considering United had virtually no midfield for the first half of the season and we conceded fewer goals than 17 of the other 19 teams, I'd say our defence is well above average.
38 games worth of statistics would tend to back me up.
I think, maybe, Stu would too. :whistle:

Nope. I like stats to back my opinion up but I cant back you up on this. ?

I think Yernited need an improvement on Shaw,Lindelof and Maguire if they're to get back to anywhere near challenging for titles.

PaulS

Visit site
The third best defence in the premier league ............................ and declared as 'poor' and the 'just like Chelsea's'.

200.gif

Why did Utd lose so many games this season and finish so far behind ?

You can keep looking at stats if you wish but they clearly don’t show the whole story do they.

Third Best Defence and self claimed best front line yet 33 points behind ?

Wolf

Visit site
Let's look at this honestly the stats for utd mask an average back line. Lindeloff & Shaw need replacing and Slab head is massively overrated, De Gea needs moving on and replacing with Henderson sharpish. You don't finish closer to the bottom 3 in points than the winners by having a good defence.

But let's all be honest nothing is as shite as our defensive line up. We have the clown giving penalties away like its a free prize draw, then we have Kolasinac, mustafi and the rest, nothing is as bad as our defence. I'd even take the whole Utd back line right now, you can keep De Gea though ?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must admit I am surprised that United only conceded 36 goals. I would have also said their defence isn't quite good enough. Maybe it's the standard of goals we've seen them concede, often caused by individual errors. Their form since lockdown has obviously improved the stats, as they've been bossing games in attack in order to not concede as many I guess. Five clean sheets post-lockdown. Obviously fair play for that improvement, but De Gea looks past it, and I still think they should be looking to sign a good partner for Maguire. Bailly just always seems to be injured, Lindelof has improved but I don't think he's top class. You'd want him more as your first back-up option.

D

Deleted member 1740

Where's Sawtooth these days?? Has he gone into hiding after predicting liverpool would only get 70pts this season? ???

Comeback Sawtooth you've been missed.....

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where's Sawtooth these days?? Has he gone into hiding after predicting liverpool would only get 70pts this season? ???

Comeback Sawtooth you've been missed.....

Probably having a sabbatical like a lot of the Chelsea fans on here.:unsure::whistle:

It seems in inverse proportion to the new reds we've gained on here these last few months........

#SingWhenYourWinning

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

You can keep looking at stats if you wish but they clearly don’t show the whole story do they.

As I said in an earlier post, we had an incredibly weak midfield for half the season.
The defence were left exposed and the forwards were feeding off scraps.
If the defence is that ***, what does that say for the 17 teams that conceded more goals?
Were there any decent defences this season?
The best defence out there only conceded three fewer than United! That's 0.078 goals per game.
Sheesh.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. You really are no bargain, are you.
They lost so many games?
They lost just eight games.
Actually it was fewer than anyone except Liverpool.

I'd stop digging now, you're making yourself look a bit foolish.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Luke Shaw's massively under-rated I think. Post-lockdown he's been excellent and no co-incidence that after his injury United's performances started to drop in quality. He offers so much more than Williams down the left, different league defensively and much more dynamic going forward. I think he's been excellent, the only worry will be his injury proneness but when he's fit he's more than good enough.

PaulS

Visit site
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. You really are no bargain, are you.
They lost so many games?
They lost just eight games.
Actually it was fewer than anyone except Liverpool.

I'd stop digging now, you're making yourself look a bit foolish.

I’m not sure why I’m looking foolish when it seems the opinion is shared by many including Man Utd fans - maybe one someone has a lone view on things they are looking at it through some very biased eyes.

You did at one stage say the back line was the best in the league - laughable

The views from others seems consistent

De Gea is constantly making mistakes

Maguire is very much overrated

Shaw, Lindelof and Bailley not good enough with only Bissaka showing promise

I’m sure Liverpool and City fans will be more than happy if Utd and Chelsea keep buying attacking playing when the back line is clearly the weak link ( well to knowledgeable football fans it is )

It’s like reading other social media sites - you would think Utd won the lot , well they did win the “League Title after Lockdown Trophy” ?????

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Goals conceded alone really doesn’t prove a thing. Whilst utd May have conceded just 3 less than Liverpool, they did so playing a style of football that at times was significantly more risk averse than city or Liverpool. if they went as hung ho, hoping to score close too 100 goals they would open themselves upto the chance of conceding many more imo.

It’s also laughable that a few months ago everyone was saying Liverpool were going to win the “weakest pl ever” now all of a sudden Chelsea and utd fans want credit for their teams getting Cl with the parltry points tally’s they’ve got.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure why I’m looking foolish when it seems the opinion is shared by many including Man Utd fans - maybe one someone has a lone view on things they are looking at it through some very biased eyes.

You did at one stage say the back line was the best in the league - laughable

The views from others seems consistent

De Gea is constantly making mistakes

Maguire is very much overrated

Shaw, Lindelof and Bailley not good enough with only Bissaka showing promise

I’m sure Liverpool and City fans will be more than happy if Utd and Chelsea keep buying attacking playing when the back line is clearly the weak link ( well to knowledgeable football fans it is )

It’s like reading other social media sites - you would think Utd won the lot , well they did win the “League Title after Lockdown Trophy” ?????

Yup, I did say words to that effect, and guess what ............................. I was wrong, but clearly able to admit it.

I've not heard anyone say United's defence was as poor as Chelsea's, as you stated.
Is United's defence really as poor as Chelsea's ............................................................. anyone?
I think it was the "Why did Utd lose so many games this season" comment that makes you look so foolish.
I'm guessing you're not going to expand on this statement.

De Gea is making mistakes directly leading to goals, no argument there, but he's also making a bunch of great saves, but I guess that's his job.
Maguire has made the fourth highest number of headed clearances this season, there are not many I'd swap him for.
Shaw is simply superb ......................... when fit.
Lindelof is too slow and will probably be replaced.
Bailly has always been an error waiting to happen.
Wan Bissaka is, defensively, the best right back in the Premier League.

Out of interest, which is your team, if you have one?

PaulS

Visit site
Yup, I did say words to that effect, and guess what ............................. I was wrong, but clearly able to admit it.

I've not heard anyone say United's defence was as poor as Chelsea's, as you stated.
Is United's defence really as poor as Chelsea's ............................................................. anyone?
I think it was the "Why did Utd lose so many games this season" comment that makes you look so foolish.
I'm guessing you're not going to expand on this statement.

De Gea is making mistakes directly leading to goals, no argument there, but he's also making a bunch of great saves, but I guess that's his job.
Maguire has made the fourth highest number of headed clearances this season, there are not many I'd swap him for.
Shaw is simply superb ......................... when fit.
Lindelof is too slow and will probably be replaced.
Bailly has always been an error waiting to happen.
Wan Bissaka is, defensively, the best right back in the Premier League.

Out of interest, which is your team, if you have one?

If De Gea is making so many great saves then why when the guys in front are so good ?

Either he makes minimal saves and has lots of errors or he is under too much pressure because of the player in front ?

So Maguire can head the ball - many CB’s can head it , it should be bread and butter to them but he is shocking on the ground and his positional sense is really poor hence why he has to make so many last ditch tackles , or that his second touch seems to be a sliding tackle

Shaw superb ? Not for me , again positioning is poor , not a great final ball - decent left back but way below the likes of Robertson and Chilwell

As for my team - Bristol City , good old regular Champ team

Yes I’m confused when a team appears to be so good they end up so many points behind the title winners and closer to relegation zone ?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If De Gea is making so many great saves then why when the guys in front are so good ?

Either he makes minimal saves and has lots of errors or he is under too much pressure because of the player in front ?

So Maguire can head the ball - many CB’s can head it , it should be bread and butter to them but he is shocking on the ground and his positional sense is really poor hence why he has to make so many last ditch tackles , or that his second touch seems to be a sliding tackle

Shaw superb ? Not for me , again positioning is poor , not a great final ball - decent left back but way below the likes of Robertson and Chilwell

As for my team - Bristol City , good old regular Champ team

Yes I’m confused when a team appears to be so good they end up so many points behind the title winners and closer to relegation zone ?

You really are having trouble reading and understanding what I have written.

De Gea has 'made a bunch' of great saves, not 'making so many great saves'.
'Why when the guys in front are so good ?', because we had a shite midfield for half a season, as I said earlier, please keep up.
Maguire making 'so many last ditch tackles', he made, according to the Premier League, exactly no last man tackles. I'm assuming that was what you were alluding to, apologies if not.
Shaw is superb. I didn't say he was the best, but he is superb.
I've not claimed that United were 'so good' this season, but I will claim that they are the third best team this season.
Oh, and you still haven't backed up your "Why did Utd lose so many games this season" suggestion.

Your go. :p

PaulS

Visit site
You really are having trouble reading and understanding what I have written.

De Gea has 'made a bunch' of great saves, not 'making so many great saves'.
'Why when the guys in front are so good ?', because we had a shite midfield for half a season, as I said earlier, please keep up.
Maguire making 'so many last ditch tackles', he made, according to the Premier League, exactly no last man tackles. I'm assuming that was what you were alluding to, apologies if not.
Shaw is superb. I didn't say he was the best, but he is superb.
I've not claimed that United were 'so good' this season, but I will claim that they are the third best team this season.
Oh, and you still haven't backed up your "Why did Utd lose so many games this season" suggestion.

Your go. :p

The reason why they lost so many games this season is clear

They aren’t as good as some believe

The backline isn’t good enough

The midfield is decent when they turn up ( will see when they face tough opposition) , Pogba maybe playing for a move , Fernandes looks outstanding when he stays on his feet

The front line have outstanding talent - Martial too inconsistent, Rashford injury prone. Greenwood looks to have great potential but again needs testing against the top players

Man Utd benefitted from the lockdown and then the run after , but still a huge gap to both City and Liverpool suggests there are still significant issues there and they are for mainly in the backline

Both Utd and Chelsea are what Liverpool were like for many years - some great players but some big gaps that get ignored.

If Utd go into the next season without strengthening the backline then they will just continue to fight for a top 4 spot.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reason why they lost so many games this season is clear

They aren’t as good as some believe

The backline isn’t good enough

The midfield is decent when they turn up ( will see when they face tough opposition) , Pogba maybe playing for a move , Fernandes looks outstanding when he stays on his feet

The front line have outstanding talent - Martial too inconsistent, Rashford injury prone. Greenwood looks to have great potential but again needs testing against the top players

Man Utd benefitted from the lockdown and then the run after , but still a huge gap to both City and Liverpool suggests there are still significant issues there and they are for mainly in the backline

Both Utd and Chelsea are what Liverpool were like for many years - some great players but some big gaps that get ignored.

If Utd go into the next season without strengthening the backline then they will just continue to fight for a top 4 spot.

Now I know you're on the wind up.
They lost so many games this season .................................... :ROFLMAO:
Fernandes looks outstanding when he stays on his feet .........:ROFLMAO:
Rashford injury prone ............................................................:ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem both Chelsea and United and to the same extent Arsenal and Spurs face is that City and Liverpool will go out and strengthen their squads anyway and the rest are then playing catch up. Arsenal in particular will need a major rebuild over the next few seasons and you could argue that the same applies to both Chelsea and United and they won't be in a position to compete with the top two for a good few seasons and the PL will remain a two horse race with the odd wild card side punching way above their weight to sometimes keep it interesting

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Really? He's missed 7 PL games through injury in 4 seasons and that was this season because of a back injury.