Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Teams in Germany have played at lower intensity and with less pressing since the league resumed. They’ve also spoken of more muscle injuries than would be expected. And that’s with five subs. Good idea imo.

Werner going to Chelsea, not Liverpool is the big news on social media.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Teams in Germany have played at lower intensity and with less pressing since the league resumed. They’ve also spoken of more muscle injuries than would be expected. And that’s with five subs. Good idea imo.

Werner going to Chelsea, not Liverpool is the big news on social media.
If that’s the case I’m sure we’ll be hearing that Werner is that good anyway ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I get the idea of extra subs. It’ll help limit Fatigue playing games more regularly, or at least that’s the innocent plan. Realistically though the lesser clubs will still want their best layers on the pitch whilst the bigger clubs can be more extreme in tactics. if they‘re desperate for a goal they can go gung ho and then rejig and defend somewhat if they score.

Spot on, it will favour the bigger clubs with better squads to rotate, look at the top clubs squads compared to the bottom half squads.
The season should be played out as it started in my opinion ??

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
To hell with their health. Yep.

If that were the case the league could make a stipulation that players could only play a certain amount of games or just not start the season.

Id imagine small clubs simply wont reap the same benefit of it. Smaller squads, smaller game changers to utilise.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t really see it making too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things , it’s still just the three changes during the game I believe. I guess it’s all about the fitness of the players etc

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understand why they’ve introduced the rule change re fitness I guess but it skews the odds even more in favour of the “big” clubs with bigger and better squads etc......

Not sure how fair it is if a team get relegated after, hypothetically, being 2-0 up at half time to City who can make 5 changes of £50m + players and win when their relegation rivals potentially held out to win or draw in the “pre Covid” league as that option wasn’t open to City (I don’t know if any previous games have been like that so hypothetical please don’t ask me to find evidence of a game that might have happened in ?)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Understand why they’ve introduced the rule change re fitness I guess but it skews the odds even more in favour of the “big” clubs with bigger and better squads etc......

Not sure how fair it is if a team get relegated after, hypothetically, being 2-0 up at half time to City who can make 5 changes of £50m + players and win when their relegation rivals potentially held out to win or draw in the “pre Covid” league as that option wasn’t open to City (I don’t know if any previous games have been like that so hypothetical please don’t ask me to find evidence of a game that might have happened in ?)
It is the best of a bad situation though isn't it? The alternative is that we see an increase in muscle tears, various injuries etc as they are cramming more games in than usual to finish the season off. It is not ideal but life is not normal right now, compromises are having to be made.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is the best of a bad situation though isn't it? The alternative is that we see an increase in muscle tears, various injuries etc as they are cramming more games in than usual to finish the season off. It is not ideal but life is not normal right now, compromises are having to be made.

Wouldn’t say it’s “the best” more just a(nother) compromise to get their hands on the money quicker....

Better that the season is completed but changing rules halfway through is a bit odd IMO.

Are they playing games more frequently than previously? If they’ve all been in training as per normal not really sure why they’re expecting more injuries now?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn’t say it’s “the best” more just a(nother) compromise to get their hands on the money quicker....

Better that the season is completed but changing rules halfway through is a bit odd IMO.

Are they playing games more frequently than previously? If they’ve all been in training as per normal not really sure why they’re expecting more injuries now?
It is odd but then life now is odd.

I think we are still waiting for fixtures to be confirmed but my understanding is that they are going to be compressing the remaining games into a shorter space than usual, less recovery time. That gives the potential for great muscle injuries unless the players are managed correctly. It is a player welfare issue, I am okay with that.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is odd but then life now is odd.

I think we are still waiting for fixtures to be confirmed but my understanding is that they are going to be compressing the remaining games into a shorter space than usual, less recovery time. That gives the potential for great muscle injuries unless the players are managed correctly. It is a player welfare issue, I am okay with that.

I understand that player welfare issue if they’re compressing the schedule.

A little ironic they’re bothered about pulled hamstrings but happy to crack on accepting the welfare issue of starting back up whilst a virus that’s stopped the world is still around though!!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A little ironic they’re bothered about pulled hamstrings but happy to crack on accepting the welfare issue of starting back up whilst a virus that’s stopped the world is still around though!!

Players injuries cost money

Affects their value sometimes aswell

It's another money issue

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I totally get your point. The virus is not going anywhere right now though. It is declining but we don't know when it will reduce sufficiently to no longer be a threat. Does sport sit back and keep waiting or does it try to adapt and crack on, as all businesses are trying to do right now. It seems to be working okay in Germany, although it looks flat from the outside as a spectacle.

Players are employees, they could decline to play but would have to accept that they will not be paid for that period.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally get your point. The virus is not going anywhere right now though. It is declining but we don't know when it will reduce sufficiently to no longer be a threat. Does sport sit back and keep waiting or does it try to adapt and crack on, as all businesses are trying to do right now. It seems to be working okay in Germany, although it looks flat from the outside as a spectacle.

Players are employees, they could decline to play but would have to accept that they will not be paid for that period.

True, at least the season will finish I’d just expect even more disconnect between those with the biggest resources and the rest with the additional changes/subs.

Havent watched any of the German games in full but seen clips on Twitter, all a bit soulless and bizarre (jump up to compete for a header but social distance when celebrating etc)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just seen Spurs v Everton, 1976 Big Match Special. Brilliant stuff. No sponsors on shirts, no tippy tappy football, no playing out from the back, no one worrying about possession stats, the wonderful Brian Moore on commentary, big man little man upfront. Happy days.

One of the best players on the pitch was a Spurs player, Alfie Conn. Never heard of him, I was only 6 back then but I recognise most of the other players, but he looked good on the ball, an exciting runner. I've googled him and he went from there back up to Scotland. He did okay but I would have expected to have heard more about him based on that display, unless it was one of his better games. Anyone remember him? Anything to add, flesh out his story?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've just seen Spurs v Everton, 1976 Big Match Special. Brilliant stuff. No sponsors on shirts, no tippy tappy football, no playing out from the back, no one worrying about possession stats, the wonderful Brian Moore on commentary, big man little man upfront. Happy days.

One of the best players on the pitch was a Spurs player, Alfie Conn. Never heard of him, I was only 6 back then but I recognise most of the other players, but he looked good on the ball, an exciting runner. I've googled him and he went from there back up to Scotland. He did okay but I would have expected to have heard more about him based on that display, unless it was one of his better games. Anyone remember him? Anything to add, flesh out his story?

Believe a young Glenn Hoddle would have been playing