Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Aye but they’d vote for playing on unicycles if it meant they got the money!

Issue I have with it is changing the number of subs, just makes it an “uneven” playing field. More for clubs at bottom tbh as winners are all but sorted and clubs fighting for CL spaces are largely the better off ones.

Haha.

If it hinders the lower clubs why did they vote for it? I’d have thought the vote would’ve been 16-4 against.

I’d be surprised if many clubs actually use 5subs. Using too many subs can have a negative affect and disrupt the game.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha.

If it hinders the lower clubs why did they vote for it? I’d have thought the vote would’ve been 16-4 against.

I’d be surprised if many clubs actually use 5subs. Using too many subs can have a negative affect and disrupt the game.

Im guessing the only way they get their money is to play out the season? That’s the only reason behind all of this, like I say they’d have voted for anything and take their chances to get their hands on the cash.

The big concern, outside of the PL bubble, is what happens in lower leagues if crowds can’t attend into next season......

D

Deleted member 1740

Im guessing the only way they get their money is to play out the season? That’s the only reason behind all of this, like I say they’d have voted for anything and take their chances to get their hands on the cash.

The big concern, outside of the PL bubble, is what happens in lower leagues if crowds can’t attend into next season......

I thought it was just to help Liverpool win the league,no???

I don’t think the extra 2 sub rule was a big issue or a caveat to restarting the season. You’re right though it is mainly about money.

I think the PL bubble will struggle, it’s not immune from any of the financial struggles we’re seeing elsewhere.

The EFL needs serious help financially but also I think we’ll start to see clubs operating better in the next few years. At the momment it’s like hand to mouth and as soon as the money comes in, it goes straight back out.

D

Deleted member 16999

So League 1 & 2 have folded and yet the argument was that not finishing the season would hurt smaller Clubs?

And the bigger Clubs who already have the money will continue? Doesn’t make sense to me.o_O

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So League 1 & 2 have folded and yet the argument was that not finishing the season would hurt smaller Clubs?

And the bigger Clubs who already have the money will continue? Doesn’t make sense to me.o_O

cant believe weve heard the end of that yet, cant believe the Peterboroughs or Tranmeres are going to be too happy

D

Deleted member 16999

cant believe weve heard the end of that yet, cant believe the Peterboroughs or Tranmeres are going to be too happy
Or Sunderland, and Wycombe finish 3rd with less points than 4th & 5th!

All done on points per game, because no team has ever gone on a run or collapsed during a run in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wycombe "finish" 3rd with 1.73 pts per game and a GD of 5
Peterborough "finish" 7th with 1.69 pts per game and a GD of 28

they had the same actual points when the season stopped

think the lawyers will be doing some late nights to earn their corn!!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think its different down the leagues, I think they rely on footfall more than premier league clubs who have massive sponsorship and telly deals, so dont know who has said it will hurt smaller clubs more.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think its different down the leagues, I think they rely on footfall more than premier league clubs who have massive sponsorship and telly deals, so dont know who has said it will hurt smaller clubs more.
The loss of revenue to smaller Clubs, ie, footfall, how will the loss of TV revenue be covered, possibly paying back the season ticket holders for the remaining games, etc.

All those arguments were initially brought out why Football had to be played and the danger of loss of revenue putting lower league clubs at risk of folding.

There was even talk of PL Clubs helping the smaller clubs.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The loss of revenue to smaller Clubs, ie, footfall, how will the loss of TV revenue be covered, possibly paying back the season ticket holders for the remaining games, etc.

All those arguments were initially brought out why Football had to be played and the danger of loss of revenue putting lower league clubs at risk of folding.

There was even talk of PL Clubs helping the smaller clubs.

I think premiership clubs are in a different situation to lower league clubs from a few perspectives.

1. If they dont finish the league they will have to pay the telly companies back a huge amount.

2. Due to massive sponsorships they have more income from other streams rather than gate receipts, and again may have had to pay a lot back to sponsors if they hadnt finished the league.

3. They can cover all the money required for testing, social distancing, bio-whatdyacallit at the training and football grounds, which lower league clubs couldnt.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think premiership clubs are in a different situation to lower league clubs from a few perspectives.

1. If they dont finish the league they will have to pay the telly companies back a huge amount.

2. Due to massive sponsorships they have more income from other streams rather than gate receipts, and again may have had to pay a lot back to sponsors if they hadnt finished the league.

3. They can cover all the money required for testing, social distancing, bio-whatdyacallit at the training and football grounds, which lower league clubs couldnt.
Agreed to a degree, hence my initial point that getting going again was more important to the Lower League Clubs, Yes some PL Clubs would of had financial difficulties, but I doubt any would of gone under as is the threat lower down.

All Leagues should of been played out as per the PL or waited until till safe to do so, as previously discussed.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed to a degree, hence my initial point that getting going again was more important to the Lower League Clubs, Yes some PL Clubs would of had financial difficulties, but I doubt any would of gone under as is the threat lower down.

All Leagues should of been played out as per the PL or waited until till safe to do so, as previously discussed.

I agree, if safe I think all leagues should have finished even if 12 monthss time, before sorting out any of the next season after.

I think due to finances its harder the further down the pyramid, though, as less resources and no crowds but the increased costs of doing it safely is an even bigger hurdle, financially.