preferred lies

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone please clarify, what is a preferred lie and can u lift and clean your ball when it is in operation?

depends on the specific local rule in place - you should always check

generally in the UK it's mark, pick, clean and place (once) within 6" on closely mown areas

I understand that a lot of clubs have approached their regional golf union for permission to run Q comps over the next couple of weeks with preferred lies in place because of the recent weather.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a moral dilemma on Sat, preffered lies on the fairway but I hit a wild stinker onto the next fairway and caught a bad lie, would you use the referred lie rule or take your medicine? In the end I took the medicine and had a double bogey but really should have taken the prefered lie.

Thoughts?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a moral dilemma on Sat, preffered lies on the fairway but I hit a wild stinker onto the next fairway and caught a bad lie, would you use the referred lie rule or take your medicine? In the end I took the medicine and had a double bogey but really should have taken the prefered lie.

Thoughts?

I'm a strong advocate of using the rules to your advantage and so if you were entitled to the preferred lie I'd have taken it. I know some clubs that actually have a local rule in place restricting it to mown areas on te hole in play which would have prohibited you anyway

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thoughts?

The specimen local rule does not mention fairways, only close-mown areas (i.e. cut to fairway length or lower), so, if where you land is close-mown, you can pick and place, even if it's 2 fairways from the hole you are playing.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, for me it's easy to say after what I should have done but if I had made par I probably would never had mentioned it here anyway.