Preferred lies...still

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this widespread or is it just my club? Preferred lies have just been extended to July 14th to help the course recover, which incidentally looks fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this widespread or is it just my club? Preferred lies have just been extended to July 14th to help the course recover, which incidentally looks fine.
I heard yesterday that the members of Portrush have been playing off mats in order to protect the course for the Open, to make it look immaculate. Your committee haven't got the venues mixed up have they? :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, did your course burn badly last summer? There was a thread on here only a week or two ago about this subject, how is your course recovering. Most are doing okay but I know some links courses up here are still not 100%, the same may apply to heathland places although I don't know for sure. If your place suffered badly last year then presumably they are trying to help it out still. I doubt they are doing it for the fun of it to be fair although if this is still in place in July you must have been burnt to a crisp.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
We were until the end of June, we did apply for July too but were turned down apparently, as we now have to apply to England golf and they would only offer it on specific holes on a week to week basis . The committee said that would be to tricky to do so it's back to getting some crappy lies here and there

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course should absolutely still have preferred lies but we don't. It ended at the end of May. Quite a few of the more exposed fairways are still in awful nick from last year, they've had to replant grass seeds in some areas, and there's still a good chance you can hit a fairway and have a horrible, bare lie. Or be in a patch of new grass where taking a divot would potentially ruin the new growth.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I should know the answer but where are you again? We should be on preferred lies especially on the 3rd 4th which were badly affected last year and simply haven't recovered and a good drive is penalised with a bare lie or rolling just off any grass leaving a horrible lie

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I should know the answer but where are you again? We should be on preferred lies especially on the 3rd 4th which were badly affected last year and simply haven't recovered and a good drive is penalised with a bare lie or rolling just off any grass leaving a horrible lie
Could you not just mark the areas GUR?
Our preferred lies ended the end of April, as per the KGU. When we had the amateur champs a few weeks back, the KGU came round and marked a few bare-ish patches we have as GUR, they aren't fairways just a bit scabby.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fairways are pretty much perfect (for us). As we have extensive fairway watering we were not significantly impacted by last summer - and (as mentioned elsewhere) we take out little bags of sand/earth/seed mix to fill divot holes and scrapes.

Not sure when we came off preferred lies but it is usually end April, early May

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are preferred on our back nine with Surrey County approval. Our 11th/12th and parts of the 16th fairway were decimated last summer and the soil depth is not enough for a proper re-grow until a series of coring is done. It was the right decision and common sense applied.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No uncommon this year. Many courses had severe fairway burn last summer.
One prestige course nearby has lost much of the grass on two fairways and have been permitted to have PL within 1cl on those holes for as long as it takes.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
our course is preferred lies for the rest of the season i believe. I little ott but it was really badly hit last summer, some big bunkr maintenance as well, still good to play though.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are still on preferred lies here on the south coast. Fairways badly affected last year along with loads of moss. Plenty of leather jackets too!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we are still on them due to all the work that was ongoing for the course changes, we also a fair few NPZ in operation, on the 7th Fairway which is moved over to the seaward side, area was round and a path before.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could you not just mark the areas GUR?
Our preferred lies ended the end of April, as per the KGU. When we had the amateur champs a few weeks back, the KGU came round and marked a few bare-ish patches we have as GUR, they aren't fairways just a bit scabby.
I played ther a 6 weeks/2 months ago and there are some genuinely ropey fairways that, presumably, haven't recovered from the pasting they took last year. They are likely to be taking another beating currently, in spite of seriously dedicated efforts (slicing and seeding) by ground staff! Much sympathy on my part! It's another case of finding and correcting the 'weak' parts - in this case lack of water, in others...too much! - of a (relatively) new course!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I played an inter club match at a local course here in Suffolk two weekends ago and was astonished to be told they were on preferred lies and had been for at least two years continuously.

Then I saw the state of the fairways.