Preferred lies...still

D

Deleted member 15344

Some clubs are still recovering from last years draught especially courses with great drainage but not fairway irrigation like ours

We still have preferred lies in general play and for three holes in Comp play but we should be on oreffered lies on all holes - but unqualified people make decisions over and above a qualified greenkeeper

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some clubs are still recovering from last years draught especially courses with great drainage but not fairway irrigation like ours

We still have preferred lies in general play and for three holes in Comp play but we should be on oreffered lies on all holes - but unqualified people make decisions over and above a qualified greenkeeper
Green keepers should always have the last word for me.
That’s what we pay them for.
Ours were Burt last year but are fantastic now after all the rain.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Folk may recall, back in early Spring, me mentioning that many courses could be on preferred lies well into the main season & possibly all year such was the damage caused by last Summers long dry period of high temperatures.
As most courses in N Leeds get pretty heavy & moist most winters we have on the whole survived with limited PLs & most Clubs fairways are now in pristine condition. The links of Seaton Carew however retained PLs well into June. I haven't been there for a wee while so an unaware of the general condition & how its recovered. Yes, last Summer was very damaging nation wide.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No surely not!..... though haven't been. Wetherby is pristine & a similar environment so most surprised that Ilkley is suffering :eek:
Apparently Ilkley had very severe burn off on two of their fairways (away from the river) and the grass simply hasn't recovered. Both courses were under many feet of water during the winter flood so not sure why only Wetherby survived. Selby and Garforth weren't at all good some weeks ago.
Nice complement re Wetherby, thanks. 17th & 18th new greens are still a bit slow.

sunshine

Visit site
Our course should absolutely still have preferred lies but we don't. It ended at the end of May. Quite a few of the more exposed fairways are still in awful nick from last year, they've had to replant grass seeds in some areas, and there's still a good chance you can hit a fairway and have a horrible, bare lie.

That's just Haste Hill every year :ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site
Nah it was never this bad. The council gave some excuse about not being able to get water to water it properly or something. Really they just don't care about the course anymore.

I heard it got to the point where the club had to choose whether to have water in the clubhouse or on the course.