Preferred lies in summer

John Evans 9

Visit site
Because of greenkeepers’ activity on some fairways (scarifying) recently, the comp was declared non-qualifying. But General Play cards have been accepted. Is this correct ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
England Golf has ruled:
As of 1st May 2022, through to 30th September 2022, preferred lies on closely mown areas (fairways and green fringes only) are NOT permissible. Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they are to seek approval from their County, who would look at things on a case-by-case basis.

Therefore GP scores are not eligible for handicapping purposes unless the county has approved preferred lies for all scores.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
England Golf has ruled:
As of 1st May 2022, through to 30th September 2022, preferred lies on closely mown areas (fairways and green fringes only) are NOT permissible. Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they are to seek approval from their County, who would look at things on a case-by-case basis.

Funnily enough I was a spectator at an interclub match at a neutral venue last weekend.

I noticed a sign on the first tee saying that "preferred lies were in operation". I pointed this out to one of the team Captains and told him that he would best clarify this with County officials (including the Counties top rules guy), who were in attendance at the match acting as referees. I was subsequently chatting to one of the referees who told me they were not aware of the preferred lies being in place until it was pointed out to them!!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funnily enough I was a spectator at an interclub match at a neutral venue last weekend.

I noticed a sign on the first tee saying that "preferred lies were in operation". I pointed this out to one of the team Captains and told him that he would best clarify this with County officials (including the Counties top rules guy), who were in attendance at the match acting as referees. I was subsequently chatting to one of the referees who told me they were not aware of the preferred lies being in place until it was pointed out to them!!!
Oh dear!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Lindrick on Thursday.
Fairway where the worst I’ve played all year. Preferred lies would have been greatly received, but as pointed out not allowed at this time of year.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Lindrick on Thursday.
Fairway where the worst I’ve played all year. Preferred lies would have been greatly received, but as pointed out not allowed at this time of year.
Oh dear , as a club there is 60 of us playing there next Thursday in our Board away comp

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh dear , as a club there is 60 of us playing there next Thursday in our Board away comp
Greens and tee boxes are in good order, but the fairways have suffered a lot. Very bare, the over night rain with the rain while playing was giving mud balls on nearly all fairway drives.
I’ll never play it again. Soured my view of it completely

salfordlad

Visit site
Greens and tee boxes are in good order, but the fairways have suffered a lot. Very bare, the over night rain with the rain while playing was giving mud balls on nearly all fairway drives.
I’ll never play it again. Soured my view of it completely
MLR E-2 is an easy option to deal with the mud balls, the England Golf limitation on preferred lies is not breached. Many club Committees should be getting familiar with this MLR if they have not already.