Pre round warm up stretches

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the late sunrise season upon us our course isn't normally light until 7:50, and I'm normally out by 8:15, this means pre game range session is impossible,

I've noticed of late my swing doesn't exactly get going until 3rd or 4th which by this time I've lost valuable shots, the biggest issue seams to be upper body stiffness which prevents a full shoulder turn , I've noticed that as the round gets going and my shoulders loosen up the swing becomes less restricted and more fluent.

With this in mind I'm looking for some good stretched that I can do in the locket room or on the first tee to help loosen the shoulders to promote a easy turn earlier in the round, any ideas?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With the late sunrise season upon us our course isn't normally light until 7:50, and I'm normally out by 8:15, this means pre game range session is impossible,

I've noticed of late my swing doesn't exactly get going until 3rd or 4th which by this time I've lost valuable shots, the biggest issue seams to be upper body stiffness which prevents a full shoulder turn , I've noticed that as the round gets going and my shoulders loosen up the swing becomes less restricted and more fluent.

With this in mind I'm looking for some good stretched that I can do in the locket room or on the first tee to help loosen the shoulders to promote a easy turn earlier in the round, any ideas?

http://www.markbullgolf.co.uk/download/Article-5MinuteWarmUp.pdf

This article may suit was available off google, the 5 exercises were I believe designed by Ramsey Mcmaster (golfmed.net) now sadly deceased and the guy who's site it's on is a sports scientist and PGA pro I think so you may find some stuff on their sites.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look at it this way.
Lets say you warm up 4 holes in,thats 12-20 shots.
Swing the club 20 times before going out and theres your warm up.it takes a minute.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are the Kenny Everett hands optional in exercise 4?

Not as far as I am aware although I believe he termed them cowboy guns or something like that;), it is supposed to put the muscles you want to work in the right positions and help relieve certain conditions our body tends to get into due to modern life.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not as far as I am aware although I believe he termed them cowboy guns or something like that;), it is supposed to put the muscles you want to work in the right positions and help relieve certain conditions our body tends to get into due to modern life.

It's best not to comment on excercise 5!!

Hello sailor ;)

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's best not to comment on excercise 5!!

Hello sailor ;)

Yeah it's not embarrassing at all:eek:, I'm sure it's just laziness on my part that I don't bother with warm ups bar maybe a few swings with a weighted club or just forgetting it all and settling for the bar.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just try to make sure my back is free by going into the nets for 5 mins. Slowly working up to full swings. Not looking for how I'm hitting the ball, just warming/freeing up.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just try to make sure my back is free by going into the nets for 5 mins. Slowly working up to full swings. Not looking for how I'm hitting the ball, just warming/freeing up.

This is the problem lump, or range is around 750 yards from the club house/first tee and is not floodlit , we have no nets near our first tee as the club makes a revenue from range balls, so other than chipping on the short game area there is no where near the first tee to swing and hit any balls,,,,

I've actually suggested that our club puts 6-10 bays in behind the first tee which would play across the driving range at a 45* angle! not ideal but your clear from miss hit balls from the range and would have an area of approx 200 yards to hit irons / hybrids to warm up pre round, most don't use our range as the walk is too far from the first, I honestly think our range revenue would triple through people using half a bucket of balls pre round warm up.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just grab a couple of clubs normally and make half swings building up to a full one over 20-30 secs. Too cold this morning and ripped a snorter down the first fairway :eek:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just grab a couple of clubs normally and make half swings building up to a full one over 20-30 secs. Too cold this morning and ripped a snorter down the first fairway :eek:

This is about as much as I can face for a warm up - 2 wedges together, 10 or so right handed swings and the same with left handed swings, gets a decent ROM both ways then :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what I normally do if I do not get chance to go and hit some balls first.

1st: get an club out and grab the grip in your left hand and drop it down your back then grab the head with your right hand and pull on it until you feel the stretch in your left arm. Hold it for 10 seconds then switch arms.

2nd: lay a club across your shoulders and hold it at both ends. Then turn as far as you can to the right, hold it for 10 seconds then do it to the right.

3rd: get a 5i out and take some swings at 50%, then 75% and finally at 100% swing speed.

I find after doing this my muscles are nicely stretched out and warmed up.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what I normally do if I do not get chance to go and hit some balls first.

1st: get an club out and grab the grip in your left hand and drop it down your back then grab the head with your right hand and pull on it until you feel the stretch in your left arm. Hold it for 10 seconds then switch arms.

2nd: lay a club across your shoulders and hold it at both ends. Then turn as far as you can to the right, hold it for 10 seconds then do it to the right.

3rd: get a 5i out and take some swings at 50%, then 75% and finally at 100% swing speed.

I find after doing this my muscles are nicely stretched out and warmed up.

Are static stretches advisable without at least warming the muscles a little bit first?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't believe no one has suggested the MAJ as filmed for GM!

[video=youtube;RGiGEDnU6Tg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGiGEDnU6Tg[/video]

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe no one has suggested the MAJ as filmed for GM!

[video=youtube;RGiGEDnU6Tg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGiGEDnU6Tg[/video]

Hehe, came into this thread as I knew someone would have posted this.... Hes a god of a man!

Well that and I am getting older by the day and feel I should warm up.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need to warm up Al?

Put an extra layer on!

If I do I will not get my arms down by my side.... /Michelin man!

Na, actually I have been carrying an injury for two years, seen a physio (OMG she is SUCH a honey) and all she did was actually make me stretch is properly. Felt like a bit of a plumb but I am going back to see her again!!! In light of that I thought I should warm up now and then....

Worth Moving down the road and getting a bad knee Ian... !!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I do I will not get my arms down by my side.... /Michelin man!

Na, actually I have been carrying an injury for two years, seen a physio (OMG she is SUCH a honey) and all she did was actually make me stretch is properly. Felt like a bit of a plumb but I am going back to see her again!!! In light of that I thought I should warm up now and then....

Worth Moving down the road and getting a bad knee Ian... !!!

Don't need to move anywhere to get 2 of them Mate!