Help required with swing issues - drills required:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
While you film yourself............
Make your backswing as normal then stop.
Then turn your hips more and see what that does to the length of the backswing.
There's a lot of clubhead speed being lost due to a lack of hip rotation going back

At the range Thursday night so I'll take a vid and see where I'm at. Anything else?

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
On a brief side note, aimed at nothing more than picking out some positives in the situation, I like your clubface position at the "top". Closed clubface is a good starting point to reducing the rate of closure and getting a more stable release and improving accuracy. Helps to avoid the flippy release.

I'm afraid re: getting more turn I can't really add anything further to what the qualified guys have already said re: relaxation, tempo and trying to hit shots subconsciously! Filming yourself is always very useful and the more you can quantify the relationship re: feel vs real, the more you can guide your improvement. Hoping this is just one of those things you look back at in the upcoming season as you're pushing for single figures back like big Ernie and wonder how on earth that happened! :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As in on the take away or on the follow through

From taking the club away at address to the top of the backswing?

If your (subconsciously) retaining too much knee flex, you will effectively be restricting your turn.

If you allow your trail knee to lose some flex (Not lock out!) Just lose a little flex yoy may increase your hip turn.

Monte, who does quite a bit on GolfWRX, explains it well here:

[video=youtube_share;ihedpsV15Us]https://youtu.be/ihedpsV15Us[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any drills for getting a better hop turn in the takeaway would be helpful, you tube isn't really delivering anything

if you can do this windmill drill has shown here, the right arm ending up behind the head (both arms out stretched) the left arm pointing at around the ball, ball/target line to get a good plane to the turn

- the only ways to get the arms to the position seen in the top image is to turn the hips - notice where the belt buckle is pointing and the angle of belt - so the right hip has turned back behind and a little ways up

notice where the right side pocket is in the bottom image and again that angle of the belt.

if the hips don't turn it's a ways impossible to get this upper body turn to 90º
the weight pressure is contained on the inside of the right foot hasn't passed to the outside of the foot, right leg will have straightened up some (but not ramrod straight) a bunch of tension will be felt along the inside of the right thigh, to facilitate this the left knee would have worked down and back some towards the right foot (but the vertical head height will have been maintained) - not left knee pop out to the ball or ball/target line

2fl4UxO.png
[/IMG]
qB2ccuZ.png
[/IMG]

Last edited: