Practise?

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Apologies for asking loads of questions on here and in case you hadn't guessed you may have noticed that I have got the bug and am rather keen to improve and I would like to pick your brains about practise this time. But I want to do the correct practise.

I normally don't get home till 7-7.30 so my evenings are limited even more so with the nights drawing in. I am a member of a club (15 min drive away) and they have great practise facilities but no driving range. I also have a driving range a few minutes away but they have no pitch / putt facilities and are quite expensive. I am having lessons and I get some specific drills to work on but these are purely swing related at the moment.

Are there any other creative ways to practise properly especially at home (average sized garden). I know there are practise nets/chipping nets and mats practise balls etc to purchase but how many of these actually give you a quality practise session?

I don't mind investing a bit in something but what has really worked for you?

Thanks

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Depending on what you are working on in your swing, you don't really need to hit balls to practice it (even though that's admittedly way more fun). Just swinging a club in your garden can work. For example, when I worked on getting my wrist position more neutral (as opposed to the massive bow you see in my profile pic), I used every opportunity to practice the backswing with any kind of sticklike object and pretty much anywhere. To the point where I swung a hairbrush a few times every time I used the loo at work, checking positions in the mirror.

But as long as daylight lasts, try to get to the course in the evenings, even if it is just for 3 or 4 holes or a bit of pitching/chipping or putting practice. The summer months are over so quickly and you have ample time in winter to use either the range or a putting mat at home.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After couple of years hitting ball after ball at the range, I ventured up the club one evening after work for some practice and I would say thats the beat form of practice. Don't get me wrong, I'm forever doing drills in the living room (which may need to stop now as I smashed the light with the club) which I think also has its place.

I would say its horses for courses. i.e., drills etc at home to get some of the 'feelings' you want. Driving range to try and put these feelings into place to try and combine your swing thought with actually getting a decent strike on the ball. On the course can't be beaten for practicing the game of golf and scoring.

I got lucky during the venture to the club and there was literally no one else there, so I hit different clubs of some tee's to see what I may be able to get away with during a competition. For example, theres a 380 yard par 4 in which you need to make a carry over a big ditch of heather to reach the fairway. From the tee the ditch looks a mile long so was always driver off the tee. After this practice session I took some time and realised the ditch isnt that long and the carry isnt as big as I thought (somethinbg you don't always get the chance to do whilst playing) and I now know I can drop down to a 5 irons to carry it if I need to

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have a chipping/putting green you can use that has nine pin placements on set your self 3 easy up and down shots 3 slightly harder and 3 difficult up and downs. How hard or easy you make this should depend on what you feel your skill level you think you you are at.
Keep a record of what your score is and try to better it each time you practice. Don't make it so hard for yourself that it becomes impossible but achievable.