Practise Schedule

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I'm looking to practise as much as possible. However with my work and homelife I can only manage the following:

Mon: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Tue: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Wed: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Thurs: 1 Hour at home
Fri: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Sat / Sun Round of Golf 1 hour to warm up.

Every 5th week will be rest through the week then round at the week end.

My 1st Lesson will be on chipping / pitching
My 2nd Lesson on Long Game to tweak anything needed
My 3rd Lesson will be bunkers
My 4th Lesson will be in the rough

Then each lesson after as the pro decides when looking at how my practise is going, hopefully checking my fundamentals at the start of each lesson to keep them in check as other areas changes.

I am going to concentrate mainly on short game, and only 1/4 of my practise on my long game (tee shots 3W - 7I). I am wondering what practise drills and areas I should practise and how / when for maximum benefit over the next 6 months in preparation for next season. I am only going to have 1 maybe 2 range sessions per week.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me get the most out of my practise time available.

A

Alex1975

It must be quality practice, you need to do what you set out to do in your plan. Only quality practice will move your forward so focus for the period of time you have set for practice.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to help me get the most out of my practise time available.

I would 'practice' what ever the pro sets you as drills from the lessons - over and over and over.

Nothing else. Anything else will simply risk ingraining stuff that will have to be changed and you will need that sort of practice level to get the most out of the last, and next, lessons.

One other observation; the levels of commitment you indicate in your post seem rather at odds with past progress?

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm looking to practise as much as possible. However with my work and homelife I can only manage the following:

Mon: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Tue: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Wed: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Thurs: 1 Hour at home
Fri: Either 1hour at course, 2 hours at home
Sat / Sun Round of Golf 1 hour to warm up.

Every 5th week will be rest through the week then round at the week end.

My 1st Lesson will be on chipping / pitching
My 2nd Lesson on Long Game to tweak anything needed
My 3rd Lesson will be bunkers
My 4th Lesson will be in the rough

Then each lesson after as the pro decides when looking at how my practise is going, hopefully checking my fundamentals at the start of each lesson to keep them in check as other areas changes.

I am going to concentrate mainly on short game, and only 1/4 of my practise on my long game (tee shots 3W - 7I). I am wondering what practise drills and areas I should practise and how / when for maximum benefit over the next 6 months in preparation for next season. I am only going to have 1 maybe 2 range sessions per week.

I'm exhausted reading it .. so make sure you get some rest too :)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
One other observation; the levels of commitment you indicate in your post seem rather at odds with past progress?

I know I am better than my handicap but my consistency lacks especially in comps. I have been telling HID for a year now that I need to PRACTICE more to get to a better standard. I thought it best to make a start now giving me the most time before start of new season.

I made a good start today, went to local range took me a good hour and half to go through 75 balls. Went through pre-shot routine for each ball, felt like I got so much more out of it than just beating balls.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wouldn't turn it into a choir it's ment to be fun, I practice when I feel like it and there's never been a time when I have not felt like it so take a relaxed approach to it and don't practice for the sake of it... Quality not quantity 👍

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what way are you practising at home? i would practice putting from 6 feet or so. groove that putt and it will help you get up and down so much more. when your short game is tight you can usually get it to about 6 feet so that lenght of putt is important.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wouldn't turn it into a choir it's ment to be fun

Don't see What the relevance in turning it into a bunch of singers is:ears:

Key is make it enjoyable and have a goal for each session and a weekly goal and final achievement. If it starts to be a grind then stop for a few days.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With that kind of committment, if your quality of practise is good, then your handicap will drop like a ball in a lake

Play games and compete against yourself, keep score of things. For example little up and down contests from 1 yard off the green, 20 yards off the green, bunkers etc....so keep a score and then you can measure progress. That is a world of apart from sitting in a bunker and just hitting balls

Good luck

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
what way are you practising at home?

At the minute using my V-Easy to practice chipping and putting. I practice chipping into small plant pots on the lawn (I imagine they are landing spots on greens). Indoors I practice putting and aim for a 5pence piece at about 5 or 6 feet and just aim to roll the ball over it.

I'm looking for more home practice methods as the nights are drawing in so practice at the course is limited later in the year.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
With that kind of committment, if your quality of practise is good, then your handicap will drop like a ball in a lake

Play games and compete against yourself, keep score of things. For example little up and down contests from 1 yard off the green, 20 yards off the green, bunkers etc....so keep a score and then you can measure progress. That is a world of apart from sitting in a bunker and just hitting balls

Good luck

Went to the course today, got on the practice chipping greens.

Started from a mat a yard of green pitching to flag 15 yards on green. Then 10 yards of green to a flag 5 yards on green (total 40 yards). Then from 1st cut to various flags. Spent an hour and half on that aiming to get up and down for each ball, ended up with about 65% within 6 feet.

Then onto bunker raked some of it up a bit and lay some balls in various lies (buried, on rain flattened sand, fluffy lies up near the lip. Hit about 30 shot, all but one came out. 4 or 5 were makable putts 4 or five flew the green, a couple just got over the lip of bunker.

then half an hour on the putting green. Started with long putts to get a feel of the speed, then set 2 tee pegs as a gate just wider than the ball, then 2 just wider than the putter head 3 feet away. Made about 50 putts. Then played to the various holes clockwise with a single ball (going right through pre-shot routine) starting from start if a 3putt (luckily not a single 3putt) After doing it clockwise reversed and did 2 circuits.

Was there for 2 & 1/2 Hours in total. came away feeling much more confident. Have kept a score of how I did, and will be measuring myself against this each time I go through the same drills.

I definitely felt better playing from a variety of lies rather than just off a mat. I feel that it is so much more beneficial to press the balls in the rough, have them sat up, and basically try to replicate what can happen during a round to make the learning more focused.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
when we are playing a game of up and dwn, we always make sure to drop the ball rather than place. as you say, its more realistic to what you will get on the course!

you still havent said how or what practice you will do at home!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't see What the relevance in turning it into a bunch of singers is:ears:

Key is make it enjoyable and have a goal for each session and a weekly goal and final achievement. If it starts to be a grind then stop for a few days.

LOL😂good old iPad correction strikes again...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check post #13:ears:

missed it on the phone. whoops!

sounds good. should help alot with those putts. it will groove the stroke and you will feel confidant standing over those on the course. chipping practice every day will also help keep you sharp! good work and good luck :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought the schedule seemed intense but if it works then fine. From personal experience a few summers back too much can be worse for your game. I was looking to find something that I didn't need and I spent too much time on technique on the short game and putting that any natural feel was eroded. A few hard words from the masses on here and I try to play more and restrict my practice regime to 2-3 times a week even in winter and learn from what happens on the course