Practise - Advice

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been playing golf (trying) once or twice a week since Mar/Apr of this year.

Usually i'll have 15 minutes or so on the practise green sinking a few putts, and practising my chipping onto the green, getting as close to the hole as possible.

I've never done a proper practise session before, ever, beyond getting my driver out and sparking a couple down the range - and over the barriers into the car park.

So i've decided, in an attempt to improve my game, lower my handicap, and generally not look like an arse on the course every weekend, that it's high-time to put in some practise hours.

What would you fella's recommend starting with?

Facilities available to me are a putting green with an undulating surface, giving the opportunity to practise different reads etc. A decent driving range with distance targets. Also another practise green with a good sized bunker - a raised mound behind the bunker to give you the opportunity to practise lob shots, clearing the mound and sand.

I'm pretty tonk at the game, but occasionally I get everything right and the shot comes off. Usually once every 75-100 shots....

So, any advice on what to practise, time scales for each exercise etc, would be greatly appreciated.

While i'm asking for advice actually, if anyone can give me a decent method for clearing the mental block that surrounds my mind when I pick up a 5 or 6 iron, that'd be fantastic. I can hit my 7 iron 160 yards without too much fuss. I also get a decent contact with the 8, 9 and Pitch. It's just the 5 and 6 that constantly make me want to punch something.

Cheers.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Short game practice will pay dividends in the long run. Putting, chipping, bunker shots. But mainly chipping. Getting a feel for how different approaches will make the ball react. Instead of automatically reaching for the SW when you have to chip on, practice using your PW, 9,8 and 7 irons and see what effect they have on how far the ball will actually roll with each one.
As for not being able to hit your 5 or 6 iron as well as your 7? That's in the head. Take out your 6 iron and convince yourself it's the 7 and put the same stroke on it. Likewise with the 5.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Short game practice will pay dividends in the long run. Putting, chipping, bunker shots. But mainly chipping. Getting a feel for how different approaches will make the ball react. Instead of automatically reaching for the SW when you have to chip on, practice using your PW, 9,8 and 7 irons and see what effect they have on how far the ball will actually roll with each one.
As for not being able to hit your 5 or 6 iron as well as your 7? That's in the head. Take out your 6 iron and convince yourself it's the 7 and put the same stroke on it. Likewise with the 5.

I always chip with my PW, it's my favourite part of the game and probably my biggest strength. I'm more confident chipping from 3-10 foot off the green and getting it close enough for a tap in, than i am with putting 15+ feet.

I will take your advice on the 5&6 iron mate. I'm off down the range on Thursday before Friday's competition and i'm gonna keep swinging until both clubs are doing what I want them to do.

With practising bunker shots, is it literally just a case of dropping 25-30 balls in there and hacking the lot out? Then picking a new target and doing the same? Or is it better just to play 4 or 5 from similar lies, then vary it up?

Cheers mate.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you missed something. If you can get hold of a video camera (even a decent mobile phone one) and video your full swing.
Do this every time you practice and review it once you get back home, It'll soon become evident when you compare it to other swing shots on you tube if you have areas you need to work on.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A decent driving range with distance targets.

If you have this, you are sorted.

Take a mid-ish iron....6 or 7 and get working.

Path and face.

Simples.

Then don't forget your short game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd start by getting a swing MOT from a pro to make sure the basics (grip, posture and alignment) are fine and get him to have a quick look at the swing. Same with a short game lesson. Get the basics right and you can work on everything safe in the knowledge you aren't ingraining bad habits.

Short game is where the shots are saved and so if you can get use to making the 4-6 footers and can chip reasonably well then even a bad ball striking day can still be a good scoring one.

If you are working down the range, mix it up and don't just belt balls at the same target or with the same club. Unless I'm working on a drill from a lesson, I'll try not to hit more than 10 balls with the same club and always vary where I'm aiming. I'll also step off the mat after every shot and follow my normal pre-shot address routine. No point just bashing balls as it serves no purpose.

As for bunker play if you are confident about getting it out first time most time, play around with opening the face up and the length of swing to get more height/spin on shots.

As for the 5,6 or 7 iron, play it like a putt. Fit close together, weight fractionally forward and use your putting stroke. All you are trying to do is land it on the green and run out to the hole like a long putt

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Cheers gents, some useful stuff.

I've seen one video of my swing and frankly it's embarrassing. I seem to have little in the way of a backswing, but still hit the ball a fair distance.

It seems that a lesson or two is definitely recommended, so I will see what my club can provide for me.

Think the pro at the club does an hour's tuition for about 15-20 quid - does that sound like decent value to you guys?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Think the pro at the club does an hour's tuition for about 15-20 quid - does that sound like decent value to you guys?

I pay £30 for an hour so figure that your £15-20 is good value, so long as he's good!

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As others have said just belting balls is pointless,

I tend to practice virtual rounds of my course when im at the range. For example:

1st par 5 rolling right to left. approx 480 yards:

so the first shot ill play is my driver, depending on how this shot is played would depend on my next shots, it could be

Driver,
6I (aiming at a distance marker),
40/50yard chip aiming for one of the chipping nets

or

Driver
20 yard chip out aiming for one of the nets
hybrid
chip

i find doing stuff like this at the ranage doesnt have you smashing balls for fun, but for accuracy and consistancy.

I also opt for a wedge session one a month which will be around 50 balls with each wedge (52, 60 & stk wedge) playing at trying different types of shots but more importantly distance and contact consistancy.

the good news is the crap weather is on its way, so now is the time to make use of the rnage to give yourself a better level of spring golf.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the good news is the crap weather is on its way, so now is the time to make use of the rnage to give yourself a better level of spring golf.

Fortunately, this is where i've got a real advantage. I swapped the rain and wind of the UK for the Sandy Deserts of the Middle East earlier this year, so the weather will very, very rarely have a negative impact on my game.

So I really don't have any excuse not to get out practising.

Just a shame I have to work 5 days a week, bring on retirement!!!!