Practicing on the Putting Green

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Working close to the course affords me the time on a lunch break to practice my putting, something I'm doing with increasing regularity.

To make the most of this practice, what are your most recommended putting drills?

I'm using the gate drill (a la Tiger) to promote a solid contact, but other than that I'm just practicing holing putts from inside 6ft or so. The odd lag putt too but I'd appreciate anyone's input on useful drills to practice? Something for distance control would be a bonus?

Cheers

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Useful drill for distance putting. Most handicap golfers 3 putt more due to distance control rather than line on longer putts.

At the hole measure from the putter head to the start of the putter grip behind hole, at that point either lay a club, alignment rod down, or put a couple tees in.

Then go back 20ft, 30ft, 40ft, put 3 balls down at each distance. The job is to, from these distances to make the ball at least reach the hole but not hit or pass the rod (club or tees) you placed down.

So at best you gave the putt a chance to drop as it went past the hole if it didn't drop, but if it missed, it stayed a ways inside the 3' range coming back.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Useful drill for distance putting. Most handicap golfers 3 putt more due to distance control rather than line on longer putts.

At the hole measure from the putter head to the start of the putter grip behind hole, at that point either lay a club, alignment rod down, or put a couple tees in.

Then go back 20ft, 30ft, 40ft, put 3 balls down at each distance. The job is to, from these distances to make the ball at least reach the hole but not hit or pass the rod (club or tees) you placed down.

So at best you gave the putt a chance to drop as it went past the hole if it didn't drop, but if it missed, it stayed a ways inside the 3' range coming back.

Thanks Coach, I've been using a variation on this one but will make it a more regular part of my practice.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Coach, I've been using a variation on this one but will make it a more regular part of my practice.

Very good practice technique, I use it and it is amazing how it actually works and it does improve your distance control, limiting the amount of 3 putts you have. Another thing I like to do on the putting green is a little competition against myself. What I do is this, get 4 balls and put them 3 foot away at the 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock positions, for every putt you hole you get a point. Then move them to 6 foot and you get 2 points for every putt holed, then the same from 10 foot, with 3 points for everyone holed. So you have 12 putts with a maximum total of 24 points. The challenge is to beat your best score and hopefully one day get all 24 points, the best I have done is 17 points.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another variant I "invented" this week is 6 or 8 balls sprinkled around the hole at 6 to 8 feet away. If you sink the putt the ball stays in the hole, if you miss you take another ball out of the hole and drop it and the missed ball 6 to 8 feet away. You have to continue until all the balls are in the hole. It adds a little pressure to keep the focus. For a turbo version you could take 2 balls out when you miss.