Practice

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching the Ryder Cup and Faldo is commentating and he made a comment that you're not allowed to practice a putt after Sullivan lent down to take his putt after the euro putt had been conceded by the US. He said you're allowed to "finish the hole, but not practice, i.e. if he misses, rake it back and try again", but I thought players are allowed to practice on the green as they are between holes now so what is he talking about, or have I misunderstood Rule 7-2. Does the Ryder Cup have a condition of competition to prohibit practice?

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Watching the Ryder Cup and Faldo is commentating and he made a comment that you're not allowed to practice a putt after Sullivan lent down to take his putt after the euro putt had been conceded by the US. He said you're allowed to "finish the hole, but not practice, i.e. if he misses, rake it back and try again", but I thought players are allowed to practice on the green as they are between holes now so what is he talking about, or have I misunderstood Rule 7-2. Does the Ryder Cup have a condition of competition to prohibit practice?

No, you haven't misunderstood 7-2.

I don't know if the Ryder Cup have a CoC prohibiting practice, but I'd be very surprised if they did.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I don't know if the Ryder Cup have a CoC prohibiting practice, but I'd be very surprised if they did.

I seem to recall that they had a rule that a player could have a practice at a conceded putt but not allowed to throw balls down and practice which slows down play considerably

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Note 2 to 7-2 permits the committee to prohibit practice on or near the last green played and the Ryde Cup committee have done that.
Continuation after a hole is lost (or won) is not deemed to be practice.

As an aside they also have detailed rules on practice on the course on the day of competition as well.