Practice putts on a 9 hole course

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe it's fine to take a practice putt on a green you've just played, as long as you don't hold up play on an 18 hole course. I believed that it was unacceptable to do so on a 9 hole course on the front 9 as you are going to play that green again.

I asked the pro today and he said that it was bad etiquette but not actually forbidden to take such a putt on the front 9 because the rules don't make exceptions for 9 hole courses, therefore the 1st and 10th holes (etc) are totally separate entities .

Can someone please clear it up for me as I'm still sceptical.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe it's fine to take a practice putt on a green you've just played, as long as you don't hold up play on an 18 hole course. I believed that it was unacceptable to do so on a 9 hole course on the front 9 as you are going to play that green again.

I asked the pro today and he said that it was bad etiquette but not actually forbidden to take such a putt on the front 9 because the rules don't make exceptions for 9 hole courses, therefore the 1st and 10th holes (etc) are totally separate entities .

If you take the rules as they are written then you can practice on a green you've just played on unless the committee have deemed otherwise as per note 2 of the rule.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bad etiquette doesn't come into it - there is a Decision to cover the situation:

[h=2]7-2/9[/h] [h=4]Competitor Practices Putting on 3rd Green of 9-Hole Course During 18-Hole Stroke-Play Competition[/h] Q.An 18-hole stroke-play competition is played on a 9-hole course. A competitor, having holed out at the 3rd hole, plays a practice putt on the 3rd green. Since the stipulated round requires that the competitor play the 3rd hole as the 12th hole later in the round, is the competitor penalized for practicing?

A.No. Rule 7-2 permits a player between the play of two holes to practice putting or chipping on or near the putting green of the hole last played.