Practice makes Permanent?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello All

Ok, ive been playing (at the range mostly) for 6 months now 2-3 times per week. I went round our local 9 hole which is a Par of 31 in 48 the other day, only a couple of bad shots and a few short chips but I was quite happy and I now know what to work on at the range. Not great but noit too bad I guess.

Im using all my irons now SW-5 iron but im not too consistent with the 5 and 6. Is it just practice and more practice to become more consistent with the longer irons?

Mattie

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of experienced golfers struggle with long irons never mind beginners. Thats why theyve brought out hybrids. Just stick with the practice and the more you play the easier it will get when you get a repeatable swing and a more consistent strike.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive had 3 lessons so far :D and they have been very useful. I do hit my irons a long way s they are 1" longer etc which is useful I guess.

Ill keep practicing, give it a cople of years atleast :)

Thanks
Mattie

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would add that it is worth asking around to get a Pro reccommended and get a few lessons - what say you Bob? ;)

I coudn't possibly comment :D

One thing which might help......
When you get to the 5 and 6, try and swing them smoothly and keep good balance. :)

macsport1

Visit site
Practice does make permanent. But perfect practice makes perfect. People require at least 10,000 hours to gain expertise in their sport, so, most golfers just need to spend more time practising; however, the practice should be driven by measurable goals and advice from your golf pro. Most people hit long irons better when they shorten their grip on the club but also when they swing with a slower tempo. If you set a goal for yourself to 1. shorten your grip and 2. swing more slowly, you'll gain confidence in your long irons. I would practice this way at the range:
1. Have 10 balls for each club in your bag
2. Begin hitting the balls with your most favourite club
3. Work your way to your long irons
4. Use a swing thought - smooth eyes - smooth on the back swing and eyes on the ball on the down swing. Try to see where the ball was as your arms pass under your chin

All the best,
Dr. Paul McCarthy

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Practice does make permanent. But perfect practice makes perfect. People require at least 10,000 hours to gain expertise in their sport.
10,000 hours is the common figure for many high performance/skill activities.
Do we know how young people who have not done 10,000 hours reach such heights?
My theory is that intelligence/aptitude play an important part. If you can learn to practice with less wasted time (i.e. very focussed) then you can start chopping of some of those 1,000s. :)
There are certainly young concert pianists who cannot feasibly have done 10,000 hours.
Tiger Woods on the other hand probably hit 10,000 hours before his 16th birthday.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Im using all my irons now SW-5 iron but im not too consistent with the 5 and 6. Is it just practice and more practice to become more consistent with the longer irons?

No, it's about doing the right things.

You might practice for 200 hours and yet a 30 min lesson might getting you hitting the ball sweeter than you ever did. After that it's repetition that ingrains the good things.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with JustoneUK. What is the point in spending hours hitting balls with a bad swing that becomes habit when you can use the time to focus on quality and rehearsing the correct turn and release.