Powerplay golf

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
A Twenty20 cricket style golf event has been launched called 'Powerplay Golf' where you get to pick the flag you want to aim for (2 choices) one of which is harder and you get double points for yur score.

Good idea?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Just been reading the stuff on it and it sounds really good

Those casual viewers of sport are often put off by the amount of time golf takes, in much the same way they were probably put off by long games of cricket.

Anything that can appeal to a wider audience and boost the sport has got to be a good thing. Let's hope it takes off - Twenty20 has been fantastic for cricket and it would be great to see the top pros embrace Powerplay golf in the same way that cricket nations and counties have.

No doubt it will appall some traditionalist die hards, but then loads of members of the MCC were against Twenty20 and it has been a revelation. If Powerplay is to go global though then it needs the seal of approval from the Americans - do you think they'll go for it ?

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don' think the Americans will be a problem - as long as they can shout as much as they want - I agree in that I think it will be the tradtionalists who will try to stand in the way of it.

I think the US would take to it really well becuase it is quicker and more exciting by the looks of things - which is always the reason they give for not liking cricket.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I quite like the idea but I'm not sure we need to inject a new form of excitement into the game at the top level. This sounds like it would be ideal for clubs as a yearly 'Powerplay' medal comp. If my club did it I'd sign up tomorrow - I think it would be great fun.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Sorry to be a kill joy but it sounds dreadful to me. Why don’t we just scrap the normal game and go play crazy golf instead. Sounds like an attempt to appeal to the play station generation but I cant help thinking if it isn’t broke...

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with Paul 09. It sounds terrible. "It's time for the Budweiser sponsored multi ball." It's not like 20-20 cricket because it involves some fundamental changes to the game. It would be like saying - you can have one over when the wicket gets shortened and runs count double.