Potentially 'THE' worst driving range. Ever?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ok, Golf Bug Driving Range, South Birmingham. What an experience.

I hadn't been to this range in about 12 months, having used a Direct Golf range which is just 5 minutes up the road.
I recognise they are trying to make improvements at this particular range in question, but something just took the biscuit today.

Anyway, I get my 90 range balls for £4 which I can't argue with. So I gathers the gear from the car and heads to the range facility. There were a few guys in the first few bays hitting away, and so I heads off to find myself a bay to hit from. Anyway next thing, the local families start to turn up. Two young girls, (Tom-Boyish girls) start to wack away, with their dear Mother filming them. Which is fine, until they start legging it up and down the range behind you, shouting 'Your Sick' each time you hit a shot. They eventually left having got rather bored, I would have imagined!

To the next point, how about this; collecting range balls by hand!?
I have never seen this before, but my god, what an idiot. I am kind of gutted I didn't shank one straight at him. That would have taught him. Anyway, he got rather close to the bay I was in, while he was collecting balls by hand and whilst I still had 20 balls or so left, he asked me if I had finished using them so he could collect them!!!!! I replied; 'well, what do you think?' I hope to god, this guy is insured to walk around a driving range collecting balls.

Here he is, making a star appearance at the Golf Bug Driving Range;
IMAG0770.jpg

Oh, and then he got a bit closer;
IMAG0769.jpg

Never, NEVER again, will I use this range :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
a few ranges around me are currently collecting balls by hand because of the soft conditions of the ground.

they clearly don't have the apparent issue you did as they close it to all hitting when they do so...

Akie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, Golf Bug Driving Range, South Birmingham. What an experience.

I hadn't been to this range in about 12 months, having used a Direct Golf range which is just 5 minutes up the road.
I recognise they are trying to make improvements at this particular range in question, but something just took the biscuit today.

Anyway, I get my 90 range balls for £4 which I can't argue with. So I gathers the gear from the car and heads to the range facility. There were a few guys in the first few bays hitting away, and so I heads off to find myself a bay to hit from. Anyway next thing, the local families start to turn up. Two young girls, (Tom-Boyish girls) start to wack away, with their dear Mother filming them. Which is fine, until they start legging it up and down the range behind you, shouting 'Your Sick' each time you hit a shot. They eventually left having got rather bored, I would have imagined!

To the next point, how about this; collecting range balls by hand!?
I have never seen this before, but my god, what an idiot. I am kind of gutted I didn't shank one straight at him. That would have taught him. Anyway, he got rather close to the bay I was in, while he was collecting balls by hand and whilst I still had 20 balls or so left, he asked me if I had finished using them so he could collect them!!!!! I replied; 'well, what do you think?' I hope to god, this guy is insured to walk around a driving range collecting balls.

Here he is, making a star appearance at the Golf Bug Driving Range;
View attachment 4591

Oh, and then he got a bit closer;
View attachment 4592

Never, NEVER again, will I use this range :)

Truly bizarre!! Unfortunately you do get numpties at a few driving ranges.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looks like a half decent facility,you always get young idiots messing around wherever you go and why worry if you hit the guy picking up the balls by hand,if he wants to risk it so be it...........

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It reminds me when I went to Tipperary. Their course had a range and the web site declared it to be "state of the art" we'll they were half right!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Blue Mountain can be good or bad. It gets full of kids and teenagers acting like idiots or it can be a decent place. I prefer Maidenhead which is about 20 minutes away and so less convenient for after work. Secluded and full of those only interested in working on their games.