Possible Golf membership Interview questions ???

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Occupation is very relevant. We ask if they want to add their business to a member's directory!

We've had other members round to fix our gas boiler and another fix our roof.

Maybe I'm not very sensitive about this. If I want to play a certain course regularly, I'll play there. I don't involve myself in politics or committees

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Occupation is very relevant. We ask if they want to add their business to a member's directory!

We've had other members round to fix our gas boiler and another fix our roof.

Maybe I'm not very sensitive about this. If I want to play a certain course regularly, I'll play there. I don't involve myself in politics or committees

I agree. We have something similar and by knowing what people do you can often get a decent workman out at a good price or even put work their way

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Additional thought... of course there's a wide range of approaches to this.

I've been at proprietary courses where it is just "send us the cheque." At my current club, I'm effectively a co-owner so the application landscape is going to be different.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I had an interview at Newport... it was pretty informal and actually very welcoming. They were definitely selling the club to me, rather than trying to find reasons to decline the application.

View it positively. Its an opportunity to see if you actually want to join. On meeting the committee, you might not!?

Ditto this at Leighton Buzzard. It was about 14 years ago now, but the club still does them as far as I know, along with getting to know you sessions to introduce new members to current members.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I think interviews can be a very efficient way to help answer questions. It's those applications processes where you need to know 2 members for some time to get in in the first place that are the most intimidating. When you apply for a job at a company (much more serious than a golf club) you need references, but not from people already in that company.

IanMcC

Visit site
In the South West of Scotland, where I originate from, the main question would be 'What school did you go to?' :LOL::LOL::LOL:

evemccc

Visit site
In the South West of Scotland, where I originate from, the main question would be 'What school did you go to?' :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Really? I know East Lothian / Edinburgh could be like that but didn’t know the West of Scotland.

I’ve a good friend from Ayrshire and I know he went to a public / private school - but he always plays his ‘working class Glaswegian living in the Home Counties” routine

IanMcC

Visit site
Really? I know East Lothian / Edinburgh could be like that but didn’t know the West of Scotland.

I’ve a good friend from Ayrshire and I know he went to a public / private school - but he always plays his ‘working class Glaswegian living in the Home Counties” routine
Here's a bigger clue, then. The West Coast of Scotland is a bit closer to Ireland than Edinburgh is.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive Got a online membership Interview for a new club tomorrow.
I've never had one before , whats the typical questions that are asked
Ive got a few questions i need to ask them also

thanks

The ONLY thing to consider is “which way is the £ 1500 travelling?”….. if they’re lucky, they may pass the interview.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An Asian friend of mine went to join a well-known club in the home counties, had an interview with a panel including the Captain which culminated in the latter saying "you'd be the first of your kind here".
My friend had already decided he wanted no part of it and replied "what not a racist bigot?".