Portable air con units

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Been looking on and off at getting one of these. To be honest I don’t know where to start. One problem I have seen is the vent hose goes out of the window. Ave loads of windows but the pictures Ave seen show the windows sliding across or up and down. Mine are on a hinge, as are most so how do you get round that. Will they run for so long without a hose as in the water goes into a container?
help and advise appreciated.looking around the £500 mark

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can get attachments to the hose to shape it more towards the window opening - kind of like the attachment on a vacuum cleaner...kind of!

Yes the water goes into a container and we never had a problem with lots of it nor it spilling over.

They are noisy though - even the silent ones we had were pretty noisy when trying to sleep.

Tashyboy

Visit site
By the time you find somewhere that has them in stock, the weather will be back to normal and you will not be using it ???
Appliance direct, just down the rd ? mind if it's bladdering it down over the weekend am sleeping outside.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You need the exhaust pipe to exit via the shortest route as these pipes can get quite hot so you'll be heating up the air you just cooled.

If you must exhaust through a window cut a hole in a piece of window sized hardboard or try stick the pipe up the chimney

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make sure you select a unit with suitable output, allow circa 40W/m3 (possibly even more if the room has a lot of solar gain) otherwise it will be too small, you do need an external window to feed the exhaust through, I really wouldn't even consider the heat gain from this pipe as the delta T is relatively small and the tube is only a couple of metres in length, the condensate drains into a container inside the unit and will switch the unit off as it nears capacity.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big outlay for one weeks half decent weather, give me the money and I’ll pop up and fan you.

Think a lot depends on the area you live and the way your house faces

In greater London it's baking. Also for example my house is east facing so I'm morning I get the sun and afternoon I get the sun

So it's blooming hot

BobbyP

Visit site
Been looking on and off at getting one of these. To be honest I don’t know where to start. One problem I have seen is the vent hose goes out of the window. Ave loads of windows but the pictures Ave seen show the windows sliding across or up and down. Mine are on a hinge, as are most so how do you get round that. Will they run for so long without a hose as in the water goes into a container?
help and advise appreciated.looking around the £500 mark

You'll definitely need a hose due to the hot air it produces. They are a bit of a faff to be honest, I bought one a few months ago for my kid's bedroom but ended up taking it back. Cooled the room down nicely, but messing around trying to get the hose out the window and using a window seal to keep the warm air out, just wasn't worth it for me.

Tashyboy

Visit site
You'll definitely need a hose due to the hot air it produces. They are a bit of a faff to be honest, I bought one a few months ago for my kid's bedroom but ended up taking it back. Cooled the room down nicely, but messing around trying to get the hose out the window and using a window seal to keep the warm air out, just wasn't worth it for me.
This is one of my main concerns☹️?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but what about split units?
Are they better than portable and roughly how much would it cost to supply & have fitted a unit serving 2 rooms?

Yes, it's usually for a few days / week per year, but I with climate change and all that, I can't see it getting any better.
Surely the units last a good many years, so over time the investment will pay off if you dont have to suffer uncomfortable days and sleepless nights.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but what about split units?
Are they better than portable and roughly how much would it cost to supply & have fitted a unit serving 2 rooms?

Yes, it's usually for a few days / week per year, but I with climate change and all that, I can't see it getting any better.
Surely the units last a good many years, so over time the investment will pay off if you dont have to suffer uncomfortable days and sleepless nights.

I can tell you that lol I just bought 5

Total cost £6300 fully installed

Cost for two as per receipt

Unit price £700

Install £1915

Long term Investment but my £200 units in 2 rooms have served me well