Poor etiquette OR opponent over reacting

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow. You're just the sort of dull opponent I'd hate to spend 18 holes with

If you kept doing it you wouldnt have to - loss of hole would be upgraded to disqualification if repeated :

Advice
Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
• Choosing a club,
• Making a stroke,
When a fellow competitor’s putt just lips out and he goes charging up to the hole to tap it in we should try and refrain from saying ……….… “Take your time”
Otherwise someone could have stopped Rory, in the first round of the Open 2019, rushing his tap-in putt and he would have been there, playing on the weekend.
If this ‘giving or asking for advice situation’ continues during a round then the players should be disqualified from the competition and if their actions persist into other competitions, then the Committee would have every right to suspend them from entering competitions for a period of time determined by the Committee. They would obviously require third-party evidence of this happening.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you kept doing it you wouldnt have to - loss of hole would be upgraded to disqualification if repeated :

Advice
Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
• Choosing a club,
• Making a stroke,
When a fellow competitor’s putt just lips out and he goes charging up to the hole to tap it in we should try and refrain from saying ……….… “Take your time”
Otherwise someone could have stopped Rory, in the first round of the Open 2019, rushing his tap-in putt and he would have been there, playing on the weekend.
If this ‘giving or asking for advice situation’ continues during a round then the players should be disqualified from the competition and if their actions persist into other competitions, then the Committee would have every right to suspend them from entering competitions for a period of time determined by the Committee. They would obviously require third-party evidence of this happening.
'Take your time' could if you were highly pedantic be construed as giving advice, it is suggesting the time course over which to play a shot.
I highly doubt in any social game it would be considered as such.
In what conceivable way is ' no pressure ' advice'.?
The statement advises precisely nothing.

sunshine

Visit site
'Take your time' could if you were highly pedantic be construed as giving advice, it is suggesting the time course over which to play a shot.
I highly doubt in any social game it would be considered as such.
In what conceivable way is ' no pressure ' advice'.?
The statement advises precisely nothing.

Maybe if you were consulting the weather on your smartphone and told your opponent that there was no pressure? That's a double penalty :LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Advice
• Choosing a club,
• Making a stroke,

Sorry Backsticks but "no pressure " is not giving advice in any way that I can see, I think you'd have a hard job persuading anyone of that. "Take your time" is advice, and its been done to death on here over the years but anyone calling a penalty on it wouldn't be very popular (to say the least) and, of course, in matchplay any rule infringement can be overlooked by an opponent/s and I'm sure it would be (even if the opponents knew the rules) after all it is just one of those things that is said in golf.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Advice
• Choosing a club,
• Making a stroke,
However the original post did NOT say “no pressure”. Is your quote from The Rules of Golf, if so may I ask where please?

Thanks

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone care to define what constitutes “banter” and what constitutes “gamesmanship” ?

I'd be inclined to say the competition rather than the comment as the line moves; Saturday morning 4 ball with the boys, pretty much anything goes; inter club competition or board comp, more restrained and I'm assuming they can count unless they ask for help.