Poor etiquette OR opponent over reacting

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
For someone to say "this for the half" would be stating the bleeding obvious. If you get upset if/when you hear the bleeding obvious being stated, then that's your problem. To the OP - just ignore it - you did nothing wrong.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with this, I wouldn't ever consider saying it but the reaction was over the top
Having said that you can say anything you want to me or make and noise you want as I seem to be able to just blank it out and would just ignore it
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FANCY A GAME???????????????

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think the first thing I would have done, and indeed have done in the past, is ask others in my group if they had heard the shout of fore. If they had, then I would perhaps have sucked it up as partly my fault for not hearing a shout when others could.

That said, I do really think that not many golfers shout loudly enough. I have been putting out probably thirty paces from the next tee when I have barely heard the shout from someone in the group ahead when they have hit an errant shot. If I can hardly hear it from thirty yards, what chance someone 200+ yards away?

If you’re going to shout, bellow it. Otherwise you might as well not bother at all.

One of the guys I play with never shouts "fore". I shouted it for him quite a few times. I eventually said to him "you really need to start shouting fore". He said "I know, but I don't have a loud voice ". I was lost for words...

HeftyHacker

Visit site
How did we move from comments before putting to not shouting fore?
That's a whole different level.

There was a fore shout, it wasn't heard, ball hit trolley, ball then thrown into a bush - then there was a discussion as to whether this was an overreaction. Most agreed it was.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Bloody hell there's some snowflakes playing golf. Getting upset because someone says "this is for half is pathetic".

Getting hit with a ball is obviously more serious, but nearly getting hit and throwing the ball away is just petulant. At least have a word and find out if a shout was given. Unless it wasn't the first time that group had hit into them then they have a genuine grievance.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Played 4 ball Match Play today, quite regular partners who hve known each other around 15 years. We were 1 up by the 4th, friendly match, partner has a par and opponent had a putt 3/4 foot for 1/2. All I said was this for a 1/2. No malice or gamesmanship intended. The guy went berserk. yes I know. He then missed the putt and exploded . i apologised offered him 1/2 which he refused. On the 6th I apologised again and shook his hand but he could not look me in the eye!

Was I out of order or was the other guy a tad sensitive. It became worse for him as we were 6 up t the turn. There was very little money involve din the match
If you‘ve played with him for 15yrs I suspect you have noticed he can be a bit edgy. Knowing someone like this…..1) he was out of order. 2) knowing him that long you should know to not mention it.

in all fairness, my regular 4 ball mention rubbish like this all the way through the round and we all try to get on with it as it’s just a game and banter is good in my opinion. We even get stick from our own partners. Flip side i also have a mate who will start yapping right behind you, whinging about his bad luck (bad play), pointing out the obvious and being a high handicap coach and I find it a bit annoying and frustrating. Like you he means well but he just says it all at the wrong time.

in reality it’s probably time to leave it in the past unless he mentions it. Thought of the day. Strive to leave the best of you on the course.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Banter and gamesmanship is what non-competition golf is all about. All part of the rich tapestry of life (and golf).

Without it, why bother to play? (Apart from the exercise of course)

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If one of my regular playing partners reacted like this, everyone else in the group would have erupted in laughter. He’d have been reminded about it at every other putt of 3-4 feet. A bit of friendly ribbing and banter is what I expect. I think some people need thicker skin and to stop taking the game and themselves to seriously - especially in a knock/friendly.

sunshine

Visit site
Some years ago I was last game in in a club match against Hindhead. Match depended upon my game. We were all square on the last green. I’d holed out for a four. My opponent had a three footer for a four - to half our game and tie the match. After holing out I turned to rest of team by side of green and said he had the putt for a half. He missed, I’d won my game and we’d won the match - he was not at all happy as we shook.

My skip said he’d spotted my opponent had heard me…and said he would have felt I’d indulged in gamesmanship…poor etiquette. I have to say that I was very embarrassed. I think my skip may have apologised to theirs.

No way :LOL:

Making a simple statement of fact is not poor etiquette. Unless you said it while he was about to putt.

Your opponent was either desperately searching for excuses or extremely weak-minded or both. What if there was a scoreboard - would he ask for it to be covered up while he putts?