Poor etiquette OR opponent over reacting

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played 4 ball Match Play today, quite regular partners who hve known each other around 15 years. We were 1 up by the 4th, friendly match, partner has a par and opponent had a putt 3/4 foot for 1/2. All I said was this for a 1/2. No malice or gamesmanship intended. The guy went berserk. yes I know. He then missed the putt and exploded . i apologised offered him 1/2 which he refused. On the 6th I apologised again and shook his hand but he could not look me in the eye!

Was I out of order or was the other guy a tad sensitive. It became worse for him as we were 6 up t the turn. There was very little money involve din the match

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sounds like hes misconstrued your comment as gamesmanship and overreacted imho, personally dont think you should offer the 1/2 after he misses, that never helps

expect he probably had something else stressing him, next time you see him if it was me id quietly apologise, explain you didnt mean anything by the comment, offer him a beer and agree to move on, if he wants to make more of it still then you know where you stand

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it an over reaction? Yes
But sometimes people have other things to think about going on in their lives.
Wouldn't worry about it on a single occasion.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sounds like hes misconstrued your comment as gamesmanship and overreacted imho, personally dont think you should offer the 1/2 after he misses, that never helps

expect he probably had something else stressing him, next time you see him if it was me id quietly apologise, explain you didnt mean anything by the comment, offer him a beer and agree to move on, if he wants to make more of it still then you know where you stand
I did apologise 15 mins. later. Went for a beer with him afterwards and offered him a lift home as he lives 300 metres from me.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played in a fourball once with 3 other mates. One of my mates, who was on the opposing team hit his own golf bag with his ball and I told him that it was a penalty. He got the hump....
A few holes later he put his bobble hat on as it was getting cold, and I mentioned to him that he had it on inside out. "Is that a penalty too" he sarcastically asked.
I walked off........

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some years ago I was last game in in a club match against Hindhead. Match depended upon my game. We were all square on the last green. I’d holed out for a four. My opponent had a three footer for a four - to half our game and tie the match. After holing out I turned to rest of team by side of green and said he had the putt for a half. He missed, I’d won my game and we’d won the match - he was not at all happy as we shook.

My skip said he’d spotted my opponent had heard me…and said he would have felt I’d indulged in gamesmanship…poor etiquette. I have to say that I was very embarrassed. I think my skip may have apologised to theirs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Feels like over-reaction given friendly nature of match. However I did once have to tell a 16 yr old 4 ball partner to tone down his celebrations when we won holes in a match in the club 4BBB KO - especially when we would win a hole through an opponents miss. Just decent golf matchplay etiquette.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would not mind at all if you told me mine was for a half… it really is no consequence as I know I am still in the hole.
As Lilyhawk says people need to stop getting offended so easily .. real gamesmanship is talking about swing defects and “sledging “ and that my friends is hilarious… just enjoy the game and if you come across a sour grape bin them off as that negativity is not needed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a totally unscientific survey, the ratio of uncomfortable moments in golf matchplay competitions compared to all other formats, 147 : 1 ?.

I don't miss playing matchplay, I think I did one year and decided the atmosphere was not for me ?

G1z1

Visit site
Poor etiquette and unacceptable to go berserk at anyone for passing a comment before a put never mind a friend.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a totally unscientific survey, the ratio of uncomfortable moments in golf matchplay competitions compared to all other formats, 147 : 1 ?.

I don't miss playing matchplay, I think I did one year and decided the atmosphere was not for me ?

I love matchplay and have missed representing the club due to the change in my working situation. However, I don't think there is any need to try and get in your opponents head. You should beat them by your golf alone.

AliMc

Visit site
For me it is poor etiquette, or it would be in an official match. Opponent would have known their putt was for a half.
Best to say nothing and allow oppo to play without added pressure.
Agree with this, I wouldn't ever consider saying it but the reaction was over the top
Having said that you can say anything you want to me or make and noise you want as I seem to be able to just blank it out and would just ignore it