Pointless

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Following on from the "BBC losing the Open" and "Rory not winning Sports Personality of the Year" threads - did anyone see tonight's episode of the quiz show "Pointless" ? Contestants were asked to name the most obscure golfer they could from the top 100 in the world rankings as of January 2014.

Apparently 70 of the 100 answers were "pointless" - ie none of the 100 people surveyed could name them, including many of the recent major winners. One of the contestants, a young woman, named the only golfer she had ever heard of - Tiger Woods. Lee Westwood, one of the best British golfers of the last decade or more, and former world number one, was known to only 14 of the 100 people.

It just goes to emphasize that Golf is becoming very much a minor sport in the eyes of the British public, and this is likely to get worse once the BBC stop showing it completely.

Mind you, the winner of tonight's jackpot also thought Hamlet was a play written by William Tell, so maybe they were just thick!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not surprised. But other than Football how many of the top stars from any other sport could a significant number of the public name? I'd hazard a guess that 4/5 names at the most.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But how many of the top 100 could a lot of golfers name? I could name 100 golfers but whether they were in the top 100 in the rankings would be a different kettle of fish and I'm sure the people surveyed weren't all golfers so I'm unduly surprised and don't see it as another sign of golf's demise

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I seen that.....even managed to get a few pointless answers myself.

to be honest I have only got into golf recently and would only have know poulter, Donald, Rory, Tiger, Monty etc before this.

I don't think I could name many rugby or cricket players either so probably simililar to golf for them.

Let's face it half the people they ask couldn't tell you who the prime minister is but know all about Corrie!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Name England players at the last World Cup(football). I watch loads of sport, inc. football, and I struggle to name 11 let alone 22...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I saw it. Other than football most of the sports questions on there get low marks. Never under estimate the stupidity of both the people answering the survey and those in the studio. Some are very clever but some are staggeringly stupid. As mentioned, who wrote Hamlet, ans William Tell.

With regards to how few people knew golfers, apart from keen viewers who follow golf on Sky there is very little golf shown on normal tv, as has been mentioned on here on many occasions. Add to that the big UK names now all live in the US so how are they going to build up a domestic profile? Non golfers can not be expected to know golfers when they barely register on either domestic tv or in newspapers.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I doubt many people could name most of the German World Cup winning squad? I doubt I could name the starting 11

D

Deleted member 15344

I doubt many people could name most of the German World Cup winning squad? I doubt I could name the starting 11

Unless you are a footy geek :D

Neuer
Howedes
Hummels
Lahm
Boteng
Kramer
Kroos
Schweinstieger
Muller
Ozil
Klose

Was a quiz question the other night :D

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Google really is a wonder!

I couldn't tell you the top 20 golfers, I also dont care that I dont know

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unless I misread the opening post, the question was to answer the most OBSCURE golfer in the Top 100 wasn't it?

I wouldn't have a clue who that might be, so would probably say a more well known name who I thought WAS in the 100. This isn't just 14 people knowing Westwood, it's 14 people being unsure who might be in the top 100 so naming someone they are sure is! Big difference.

the_exile

Medal Winner
Visit site
Unless I misread the opening post, the question was to answer the most OBSCURE golfer in the Top 100 wasn't it?

I wouldn't have a clue who that might be, so would probably say a more well known name who I thought WAS in the 100. This isn't just 14 people knowing Westwood, it's 14 people being unsure who might be in the top 100 so naming someone they are sure is! Big difference.

Unfortunately having been recently off work long-term with a serious illness I have developed a shameful knowledge of how rubbish TV quiz shows work... :eek:

If Lee Westwood's number was 14 that doesn't mean that 14 out of 100 people felt he was the most obscure it means only 14 of the 100 people could name him (because the people surveyed just have to name as many as they can). The point (pardon the pun) of the show is that they survey 100 people first to ask them to name as many top 100 golfers they know (or oscar winning films or premier league teams or albums by The Beatles or whatever) and then the contestants in the studio have to guess the most obscure answer based on that survey (i.e. the players who none, or as few as possible, of the 100 named at all in all the names, films, teams, albums they gave).

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I watch pointless all the time, never really got into it at first but its got me pretty wired in now. Its always surprising some of the pointless answers, but then, even though they ask 100 people, what are the demographics of those people?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Messi and Ronaldo battled it out for Ballon D'ore (or whatever it was called)...... who came 3rd and 4th?

No Googling...... :p

D

Deleted member 15344

Messi and Ronaldo battled it out for Ballon D'ore (or whatever it was called)...... who came 3rd and 4th?

No Googling...... :p

Neuer

Don't do 4th

But others like Robben , Muller and Kroos would have been around there

And I enjoy quizzes and Pointkess is good