Apologising for colonial acts

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As the 100th anniv of the British massacre of thousands of innocent (and unarmed) Sikhs approaches, there is a debate if the British Govt should apologise for its colonial past. Interesting debate here >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47070534

A few years ago the BBC did a show where the grand-daughter of one of the colonial age mayor/viceroy visited Calcutta. She was horrified by learning the 'other side' of her lovely grandpa. So while our highly skilled MPs decide on weasel words to apologise or not apologies, what does joe golfer think. Should the British apologies for war crimes that were committed during the Raj

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We should probably do a blanket apology for all colonial acts and then move on. Lots of things occurred which were unacceptable so say so. By avoiding apologising we end up antagonizing our friends and allies.

That for me is the end of it though. No payments, no hand outs. The current generation are not responsible for the past. It was part of history, deal with it and then move on.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Isn't it a no win situation? If you don’t apologise it is seen as bad, and if you apologise it is seen as acknowledging responsibility and opening yourself up to claims?

Look at Greece/Turkey where their extreme politicians are now blaming Germany to rally the masses, some 75 years after the end of the war.

Next you will be looking at the crusades again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are definitely some colonial acts that were abhorrent and barbaric but without trying to sound callous what good would an apology do from the government for events that happened a century ago. These are consigned to the history books and the stories from those handed down to each generation but nothing can be done to alter the outcome and surely the government is in a no win position. Apologise and you admit a liability to the events. Where does that lead. Say nothing and you are perhaps seen to condone what happened

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As LT Says. Unfortunately most of europe, the USA, Australia, China, Japan, and most other rich countries should get behind the UK when it is stood on the podium apologising.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would always apologise if I did something wrong.
But how can you apologise for something you had no control over and may not have even been born.
The royal family were just the best fighters and most violent over the centuries.
There are plenty of things the government should apologise for in the present.
Every country has things they should not have done.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There are definitely some colonial acts that were abhorrent and barbaric but without trying to sound callous what good would an apology do from the government for events that happened a century ago. These are consigned to the history books and the stories from those handed down to each generation but nothing can be done to alter the outcome and surely the government is in a no win position. Apologise and you admit a liability to the events. Where does that lead. Say nothing and you are perhaps seen to condone what happened

I'm more of this view.

Why stop there? Why not apologise for the Highland Clearances? The crusades?
Did they ever apologise for oppressing the Irish people?

What about the financial and economic impact on these areas? Should the government compensate the people or regions for decimating their population and setting their economy back by having so much military activity going on?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm still waiting on the compensation from the Italian government for what the Romans did (like they've ever done anything for us except the aquaduct and the roads etc).

Most of the African countries who go on about it are just looking for a bit of free money which will of course be spent totally on improving the standard of living for their own current population. Not.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whats done is done.
What we do in the future is what matters.
Agreed, unfortunately with events in the not too distant past, ie their are still families whose grandparents died at Amritsar etc, we need to build bridges so we can improve future relationships, normally the Governments take more interest when it has trade and financial implications.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally.

I had eff all to do with anything relating to the British empire.

Neither did pretty much any living politician.

As for us apologising... what an utter load of tosh.

Getting very tired of this mentality.

Akin to the ripping down of monuments that are tainted by having a modern view of historical events.

Jesus. If people’s view is that we should learn from the mistakes of old, then why are so many committed to eradicating such mistakes from history?

Makes zero sense whatsoever and only serves to appease the far left and their desires to smash the establishment or “patriarchy”.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm sending Italy a bill for what they did to the Ancient Brits and the Israeli's are not happy about missing out of a cut of Egypt's tourism income from the Pyramids.... etc etc

BUT - that doesnt mean that folk shouldnt acknowledge what happened in the past. But it is hard (and fruitless) apologising for stuff that happened before you were born....however trendy it is.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
there was program on the other day about another massacre in India. guy (a British Asian) saying he wasn't taught about it in School and was critical about the act not being done by schools, I'd image theirs quite a lot that not taught in schools.

England are also going to have to apologise to France and awful lot;)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How far shall we go back - 200, 300, 500 years? perhaps we might as the Danes et al to compensate the Anglo Saxons.

Hard to prove exactly what transpired and that the nations have been disadvantaged - many are better off as a result.

At some stage its necessary to move on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think the approach of HM QE2 and PP DofE was/is the correct one - acknowledgement and regret, but apology a step politically too far! Though PP (unsurprisingly) managed to add something of a gaffe!

FWIW I lived in Amritsar St in the Wellington suburb of Khandallah, so this time of year was a bit poignant for some of us.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it wasn't us it would have been somebody else. We had the best military at the time and if we hadn't we would now be speaking French or Spanish probably. By apologising it would be a kick in the teeth to our past heroes such as Nelson and Wellington and the ones before and after them.