Playing with "strangers"

Laka

Head Pro
Visit site
In Sweden when its busy and to reduce waitingtimes during play, golfers do ask other 2 balls to form a 4 ball, thats usual for us.
Yesterday was it busy and we and 2 balls after us had also to wait during play. We asked two 2 ballsparty if we should play a 4 ball. Both parties didnt want to play 4 ball. One of the 2 balls behind gave up after some holes after us asking, the other 2 ball jumped from hole 8 to hole 13. To make 4 balls is a good way to get friend with other members.... Do you avoid to play with other golfers during a round, is that common in UK?:confused:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
No not in my experience.

We found this to be the same in NZ and made quite a few friends this way, in fact the one time, the guy who joined us, my wife had looked after his prem babies six years before back in the UK !!

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
That's a great idea, management out on the course. Would love to see it. Our place last Sat, 4bbb inter club comp out at 1100hrs followed by members time with a mixture of 2/3/4 balls then followed by mixed foursomes! Result was course carnage, three lots waiting on tees etc. thankfully the weather was great! Still under 4:30 for the round though but with a little thought it could have been smother!!!!

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a great idea, management out on the course. Would love to see it. Our place last Sat, 4bbb inter club comp out at 1100hrs followed by members time with a mixture of 2/3/4 balls then followed by mixed foursomes! Result was course carnage, three lots waiting on tees etc. thankfully the weather was great! Still under 4:30 for the round though but with a little thought it could have been smother!!!!

At my club if there is a delay 2 x 2balls will join together unless they are playing some form of competition between themselves.

Usually if the course is busy the club will put 2 x 2 balls on the same tee time and you have no choice in the matter.

A great way to get to know others and see different styles of play if you ask me!

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Until yesterday I'd agree 100%, now only 95%.

I was playing a socity day and had arrived early so was chatting to the pro in the shop. He noticed I'd got a tag on my bag from when I played the 2010 couse at Celtic Manor. Conversation then flowed re Ryder cup etc.

Back to this thread, he'd recently played the 2010 with a relative off 3 Hcp and they had been paired with a two ball, both off 28 Hcp who have been bought the golf as a present and had only been playing for six months. Neither pair really enjoyed the round ( which was very slow anyway) as chose to play off different tees given gulf in ability and pro PP clearly got tired of ball hunting and I guess beginners probably felt a bit intimidated as well.

Different Q to topic, but should there be a Hcp limit on this type of course for the good of all or is the situation above ok?

Simon

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was playing a socity day and had arrived early so was chatting to the pro in the shop. He noticed I'd got a tag on my bag from when I played the 2010 couse at Celtic Manor. Conversation then flowed re Ryder cup etc.

Back to this thread, he'd recently played the 2010 with a relative off 3 Hcp and they had been paired with a two ball, both off 28 Hcp who have been bought the golf as a present and had only been playing for six months. Neither pair really enjoyed the round ( which was very slow anyway) as chose to play off different tees given gulf in ability and pro PP clearly got tired of ball hunting and I guess beginners probably felt a bit intimidated as well.

Different Q to topic, but should there be a Hcp limit on this type of course for the good of all or is the situation above ok?

Simon

No I don't think there should be a HCP limit, the problem obviously arose from a huge gulf in HCPs within a group.

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site

Simon

Being a 28 handicap I certainly would be dismayed if I wasnt able to play just because I was newer/less experienced in the game. However I do think some consideration should be taken to account when pairing people up. Some people dont mind playing with higher handicaps but other may.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could understand the relative newbies being somewhat intimidated playing with a pro and single figure and that may have contributed to their slowness. I'm not sure at times whether I'd want that especially if I was playing a famous course as a treat. I'd prefer to be allowed to enjoy the experience for myself.

In more conventional circumstances I'm never adverse to joining others or letting others join me. Why not? We're all there for the same purpose and if the other people aren't your cup of tea (and there are still precious few of them amongst golfers) then its only for one round. It's a great way to meet people and as we have an influx of members lately I'm happy to help them fit in

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being a 28 handicap I certainly would be dismayed if I wasnt able to play just because I was newer/less experienced in the game. However I do think some consideration should be taken to account when pairing people up. Some people dont mind playing with higher handicaps but other may.

I agree the pairings as it is a shame not to have fully enjoyed such a special day out.

Re re hcp limit etc, I'm not sure how I feel on this as play at a reasonable pace is really more important than what an individual may have on his or her card. It is not without president though : see Wentworth

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In Sweden when its busy and to reduce waitingtimes during play, golfers do ask other 2 balls to form a 4 ball, thats usual for us.
Yesterday was it busy and we and 2 balls after us had also to wait during play. We asked two 2 ballsparty if we should play a 4 ball. Both parties didnt want to play 4 ball. One of the 2 balls behind gave up after some holes after us asking, the other 2 ball jumped from hole 8 to hole 13. To make 4 balls is a good way to get friend with other members.... Do you avoid to play with other golfers during a round, is that common in UK?:confused:
Yes thats the norm for here as theres a lot of snobberty and ignorance on UK courses nowdays but not so much in the past, you come from a country where people are decent to each other and organisation is the norm.Bet you cant wait to get back ;).