playing with no hole in one.. yet!

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Started playing golf in 1982. Over the years I lost count of the number of flag hits and lip outs for aces (10+ at a conservative estimate), and so I just assumed I was destined never to get one. It always felt unfair considering I usually record 2 or 3 fairway hole outs for eagle most years.

All up until that wonderful freezing cold morning in January 2017, when the magic happened.

So 35 years.

D

Deleted member 23344

12 years. Never been within two feet.

Last week was the closest I’ve been with a shot from off the tee - about a foot away, but it was “three off the tee”.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Over 35 years. Holed out from the fairway a few times, including a 6 iron which crashed into the 18th at Bearwood Lakes on the fly, and numerous par-3s where the ball ended up a few inches right behind the hole or hit the flag, but no ace yet.

D

Deleted Member 1156

After 12 years for me. I once played in a comp with a partner who had two in one round.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-england-hereford-worcester-13142096
My uncle did that too. Played all his life, never had one then retired and had his only two in the same round.

Another interesting story......a friend of mine was playing in a big open matchplay competition. In the final he carved his tee shot on a par 3 into some trees so he played a provisional and holed it for a 3. One of the spectators found his ball so he had to play it and ended up making a 4 o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Zig

Visit site
Started playing about 20 years ago. Have partnered or played in a group with all my mates over the years while they've all had holes in one (much to their amusement that I'm the last, given I'm the lowest handicap amongst us). Some near misses, but nothing where I could say I was robbed/hit the pin etc etc.

Cue last summer: two 'holes in one' in two weeks. Both 8 irons. One at Goswick, the other at Linden Hall. Amazing.

Never been close since.
And that's why we all play golf. ;):p:ROFLMAO:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hey all, just a bit of fun.

How long have you played without getting a hole in one?

for people who have 1+..

How long before you got your first hole in one?
I had my first one as a junior 2 years after starting (embarrasing top off a tee which run up a path, jumped a bunker and went in!)

Have been lucky enough to have 7 in my carear with the last being 2 years ago in our winter league - most expensive.

I agree with Gordon, as much luck as judgement!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
About 15 years for my 1st one, I have averaged one about every 6 years since.
My uncle did that too. Played all his life, never had one then retired and had his only two in the same round.

Another interesting story......a friend of mine was playing in a big open matchplay competition. In the final he carved his tee shot on a par 3 into some trees so he played a provisional and holed it for a 3. One of the spectators found his ball so he had to play it and ended up making a 4 o_O
He should have legged it to the green and picked up the ball - would have been three! Could have said he didn't hear the call :whistle:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
One of the older members at our club got a hole in one a few years ago at our 13th. About 125 yards. When congratulated by the Captain, he was asked what club he used. His answer? "A driver!".

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Took 42 years. And it was a thing of beauty. 170yds into a stiff breeze from about 1 o'clock. 4 iron with a gentle fade, cut into the wind. A few bounces then rolled in.

D

Deleted member 25172

We apparently had a hole in one at our club today. A 90 year old. If it was his first or not I do not know.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played the Teme Vally course in Devon once and there is a notice on a par five explaining that someone had a hole in one on it.