Playing while a edition is live

eriskaygolfer

Visit site
As briefly as possible! We have changed our medal arrangements from playing on a Friday only, to Members being able to choose the previous Sunday as an alternative day for the same medal round. One Member claims that, as the medal competition starts on a Sunday and does not complete until the following Friday, participants who choose to play on the Friday,cannot play on the course between Sunday and Friday because of rules on practicing on the course during a live competition. Anyone any suggestions?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do they do it Sunday before and not Sunday after….far more chance/better option of pins being in the same place and allows for more similar playing conditions with reduced proximity of dates? Then they just wouldn’t be able to play on the Saturday on the same (nonsense) basis!!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do they do it Sunday before and not Sunday after….far more chance/better option of pins being in the same place and allows for more similar playing conditions with reduced proximity of dates? Then they just wouldn’t be able to play on the Saturday on the same (nonsense) basis!!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. They could play on the course on Saturday if playing in the competition on Sunday.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just clarifying for my own sanity ... Is it that players can choose to play on a Sunday, or five days later on a Friday?

If so, bizarre - I could understand playing on Fiday, or two days later on Sunday, but not the other way.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Just clarifying for my own sanity ... Is it that players can choose to play on a Sunday, or five days later on a Friday?

If so, bizarre - I could understand playing on Fiday, or two days later on Sunday, but not the other way.
What difference does it make if it works for their club and their competitions? Is it against the Rules? (Rhetorical question, answer is no, as above)

Swango1980

Visit site
What difference does it make if it works for their club and their competitions? Is it against the Rules? (Rhetorical question, answer is no, as above)
What difference does it make if it is against the rules or not, and that being dependent on whether one finds it bizarre or not?

If a player had to play unplayable, and they had a simply 2 club length relied option available, but decided to walk all the way back to play stroke and distance from a very tricky spot, I would find that bizarre. Afterwards, I would be curious to know why they took that bizarre decision. Maybe they will come up with some fantastic reason why it was the best option for them, maybe not. But, simply by asking, there was no implication from me that what they did was against the rules.

The conditions of the competition in the OP also seem unusual from my perspective. But, maybe the answer is something along the lines of the competition secretary is available on a Friday night to finalise the competition results, and a good number of members like to play on a Friday. So, the club want to close the results after the final Friday round, rather than having Sunday as the final day, and then members having to wait until Friday to see the results? Complete guesswork on my part, just throwing something out there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Probably because they do not want 2 competition days on the same 'weekend'.

Bit bizarre in another way though why not have 2 comps?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
..... Bit bizarre in another way though why not have 2 comps?

By offering two dates for the same competition, you open it up to more members. For example, you offer a weekday and a weekend day thereby making it open to 5 day members and to working members who can only play at weekends.

IslaG

Visit site
Our ladies section does this - Wednesday or Saturday. But I’m interested to know if your players are going to have to elect whether they are going to play their competition on the Friday or the Sunday. We have to elect in advance if we are a ‘Wed’ or ‘Sat’ competition player. This prevents someone waking up Wednesday, seeing it’s raining and deciding to play Sat instead. There is flexibility egif you are going to be away Wednesday you can apply to play on the Saturday but again it has to be a prearranged thing