Playing Through

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have expected to have been let through in that situation, so would have jumped back a few holes or spent a long time on each green practice chipping/putting (assuming nobody behind of course)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
If someone is representing the club in a match, I'd want to give them a wide berth and not be standing on the tee right up their arse trying to hurry them up.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone is representing the club in a match, I'd want to give them a wide berth and not be standing on the tee right up their arse trying to hurry them up.

:thup:
In an away match yesterday and the first tee was closed 1.40 to 3 pm mins to allow two tee start on 1 and 4 . Played in last group off 1 and after we played 9 could see three balls coming up behind us but they paced themselves and never got within half a hole of us to let us play the match in peace :) Won 5&3 and team won 3.5 -2.5

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Common sense should prevail but at least she came all the way back to apologise.

What gets me are the ignorant, usually seniors, who refuse to acknowledge your existence even if catch them up on the tee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't have gone out or asked to go through. Irrespective of the fact the group had lost ground, eventually you'd have caught the other games up and had nowhere to go. I would always give a match priority even playing on my own and it's an unwritten rule of my club that they do have priority

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I wouldn't entertain the idea of trying to get through a pile of matches on my own. I'd tee off at the tenth or simply take my time and play multiple balls.

Boring trying to bore your way through 4 balls being held up and hitting one shot every ten minutes.

I agree entirely. If I get stuck when playing on my own I'll just practice shots around the green until it's OK to play the next hole or dodge across to another hole. I think it's unreasonable to expect a group of players to let a single through, especially if they're holding their place on the course.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slow play is slow play.

If someone told me, "Sorry, this is a match" I'd swiftly reply, "Oh, goodness, sorry. I don't want my hobby to interfere with your living".

Let people through!!!!!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest I had something similar a month or so ago, I caught up a group of seniors who I hoped would let me through.

Alas they did not let me go however I found out they were in a comp as the round went on so I just played on behind them hitting a few extra shots and so on.

I have to say once I found out they were I a comp I accepted they would not let me through I can understand them not wanting to break rhythm etc. may not be right but I do get it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey its a game of golf. Why is playing through such a serious subject amongst some golfers. We have a German group that always tee off before us. One day the group said to me and my pp '' you two play too fast and its getting irritating having to let you through every week!''

No matter if its the masters at your club then its polite to let people through if their faster

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ok slightly different scenario,

You are in the last group of your clubs monthly medal after nine holes you are behind the group in front to the point on a par 4 they are putting out as you tee off so you have lost a little ground.

A two ball catches you up so as you you walking off the tee the are then approaching. There is nowhere for them to go they will catch the group ahead in the next hole and the rest of the course is full due to the medal. Do you let them through?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldnt expect to go through an inter club match TBH ,

i wouldnt even go near them if i did id step away until they has played their shots then carry on ..
Same here. Not good to start going through a club match. Check the tee times, and give them a wide berth.

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok slightly different scenario,

You are in the last group of your clubs monthly medal after nine holes you are behind the group in front to the point on a par 4 they are putting out as you tee off so you have lost a little ground.

A two ball catches you up so as you you walking off the tee the are then approaching. There is nowhere for them to go they will catch the group ahead in the next hole and the rest of the course is full due to the medal. Do you let them through?

I personally would let them through if we have lost ground on the group in front.

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst I'm more than happy to let quicker groups go through but common sense also needs to be looked at

As a one ball you know you will considerably quicker than everyone - if you know there is a club match going out then you know you are going to catch them up so common sense should be used to either give yourself plenty of time to ensure you don't catch them up quickly or play a few balls and tailor your pace of play

People going through group after group can also cause issues itself

I would be happy for club comps and club matches to have priority on the course and I wouldn't expect to go through a club match regardless of their pace of play - whilst I'm an advocate of just enjoying the game - club matches are important to a lot of people

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I personally would let them through if we have lost ground on the group in front.

I have to say, if groups are playing in a club match where they know the course in front is full there is very limited chance of people getting let through. People playing in matches do not normal let faster groups into the middle of the comp.

As previously mentioned I would normally avoid being behind matches and the lads in the shop will pre-warn you if you are looking at a time right behind a comp.

Have seen the same thing quite a few times with society groups if they have four or five groups following each other I have very rarely seen them let people through. For me the society group should be more willing to let people through but in my experience they rarely do.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst I'm more than happy to let quicker groups go through but common sense also needs to be looked at

As a one ball you know you will considerably quicker than everyone - if you know there is a club match going out then you know you are going to catch them up so common sense should be used to either give yourself plenty of time to ensure you don't catch them up quickly or play a few balls and tailor your pace of play

People going through group after group can also cause issues itself

I would be happy for club comps and club matches to have priority on the course and I wouldn't expect to go through a club match regardless of their pace of play - whilst I'm an advocate of just enjoying the game - club matches are important to a lot of people

:thup:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to say, if groups are playing in a club match where they know the course in front is full there is very limited chance of people getting let through. People playing in matches do not normal let faster groups into the middle of the comp.

As previously mentioned I would normally avoid being behind matches and the lads in the shop will pre-warn you if you are looking at a time right behind a comp.

Have seen the same thing quite a few times with society groups if they have four or five groups following each other I have very rarely seen them let people through. For me the society group should be more willing to let people through but in my experience they rarely do.

In many cases societies will probably be booked in for a meal so the club would probably not want them to be split up (they might even have a tight schedule of 9/18 holes, lunch and a further 18 holes). As has been said by others, it's wise to check if matches, societies etc. are going to be around when you want to play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tee was open and he's entitled to be there. I don't think it made sense to let him through whether they had lost ground or not and all that was going to happen was a single in the midst of it all with no chance of getting through the other matches, waiting on every shot and holding up the match behind. No good for anyone

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slow play is slow play.

If someone told me, "Sorry, this is a match" I'd swiftly reply, "Oh, goodness, sorry. I don't want my hobby to interfere with your living".

Let people through!!!!!

As its just a hobby, surely you wouldn't be bothered?

D

Deleted Member 1156

If it is a solitary group playing a KO match then I think it's reasonable to expect them to call you through but if it's a club match with multiple groups (and I would assume a tee closure) then I wouldn't expect to be called through.