Playing Through Swing Changes???

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it better just to practice for a while if trying to implement some fundamental and major changes to your Golf technique?

I'm just thinking that it could well destroy any confidence I may be trying to develop in a new setup/technique if I go out and try and hack my way round in a medal and end up shooting many many stokes over my current handicap.

Thoughts?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I play with what I'm working on.... eventually it becomes natural and you realise that you're not really working on anything.

Take it to the course (and don't worry about your scoring, you can do that part within 50yds of the green)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you making the changes yourself or with a PGA pro. If its the latter, then they should be able to give you some drills to help the changes bed in. I tend to try and have at least two range sessions if possible after a lesson to work on the drills and hit enough balls so I don't feel its totally alien on the course. If it does go wrong you have to stick with it on the course and then either go back to the pro and ask for more help or keep working on the drills

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Changes with a PGA pro.

Saw him about 6 weeks ago for my 1st lesson and all he changed was my grip. Having incorporated that change with some success so far, I went back to see him again.

I wanted him to look at my driver set up as it is very inconsistent but he brought my poor posture to my attention. In summary, I play with straight legs and bend over quite severely from the waist and then push the club down very low with the toe in the air and swing :) I'm not super tall (6ft) but have very long legs paired with a short body so I bend over quite a lot.

You don't realise how bad your technique looks until you see it on a big screen.

So now working on my posture, trying to keep my back much straighter and bend my knees. It all feels very unnatural of course but I hit a surprising number of decent shots tonight at the range as well as a few fat shots, a few thin ones and a few wild slices with the driver, only to be expected.

I will definitely take it out on the course at the weekend as I'll be at the range again over the next 2 nights but I think I'll give the medals a miss for a few weeks as it's a pretty major change compared to weakening my left hand a bit and trying to get the right hand more on top rather than underneath which was the grip change I've made.

Far too much going on in my mind before each shot just now without trying to get round in a medal round with 2 other players.

Will be back to see him again in July and will be going once a month to see him for the foreseeable future as I'm really enjoying learning about my own technique and why I get the results I do and what I have to do to change them. And naturally I expect I'll have to take a few steps backwards before I start to make progress on the course and start shooting better scores.