Playing Solo

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are playing solo (by yourself - not a euphemism ?) and playing the course for the first time and you aren’t able to play, such as, two balls or spent time replaying chips etc, how do you get the most out of playing the course. i usually lose focus, don’t bother with my putting and tend to tear round - then why I walk off I don’t recall that much of the course I have just played.

CountLippe

Visit site
Only done it once, enjoyed it. Take in the scenery, analyse the layout, particularly adjacent holes yet to play. I found I took alot more in.. Set a goal of playing to my handicap, which I failed miserably.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Similar to you, I never take putting seriously for some reason. Far too generous with the gimmes. I just enjoy hitting the ball round though, I don't have any concerns about 'getting the most out of it'. If I play a really pants shot I can drop another ball and try and do it better, which is helpful sometimes.

TigerBear

Visit site
I usually play solo mid week as I have Flexi time at work so I can get out mid afternoon if my workload allows for it.

I either play two balls or replay bad shots. Recently I've been treating it like a medal and trying to shoot as low a score as possible.

Good practice and also good fun!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i stopped doing this my game improved, if i do play a few holes on my own and play 2 balls i always play the worste of the two and try ang get up and down

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do clubs allow members to play more than 1 ball?
Pretty sure mine doesn't but I often see people hitting a few balls in the evening.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I do not enjoy it if I find people behind me, even if they are not "pushing".
Then I tend to rush. Almost an underlying feeling that I might be in the way.?. ( I remember playing singleton in the days of "no standing")
But when there is hardly anyone around, I find it a lovely way to play the game. Trying shots you wouldn't normally .

birdyhunter

Visit site
I really enjoy playing solo, especially on a summers evening when the course is quiet. However like you I find it hard to maintain discipline to give every shot 100%, after all nobody but me will know how I played when I walk off the course and as long as I've enjoyed it.

I guess that's the difference between me a a good golfer who has that discipline and will put pressure on themselves to hole every putt and count every shot... that's got to help when it comes to the monthly medal.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The last part is the reason.

A lot of places say no practicing on the course, but I see that as different to playing two balls. Practicing would be taking lots of shots from the same place, which gives rise to a lot more wear on the course than someone hitting two balls, which is no different to a two ball playing.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I only tend to play solo when my wife and I are on holiday, so it tends to be a course I haven’t played before. So I just enjoy the walk, the course, the scenery ... and try to break 100. But the OP is right about a lack of attention to putting.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do clubs allow members to play more than 1 ball?
Pretty sure mine doesn't but I often see people hitting a few balls in the evening.

We do. The rule is there to, hopefully, help you maintain your position on the course by having the same sort of same pace of play as a 2 ball. so as to not pressure those in front of you. We see a lot of single players on our 9 hole course.

You are supposed to play one ball against other.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm not a particularly serious player at any time, but I'm most comfortable when playing by myself.

I aim at 90 and generally get around in 2 1/2 hours (depending on traffic).

k