playing off the "whites"

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer to play off the whites than the yellows, also better scoring generally. I think it is because I can play full shots into the greens.

Anyone else found this?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
unless you have exceptionally short par 4s off the yellow that you can almost reach with a driver I don't know how this would be the case. Surely you can always hit a lay up club into a short par 4 anyway so you do get a full shot into the green. This is likely to be more accurate as well.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not yet, played my first round off the white tees last week and was totally shot on my club selection off the tee. Hopefully will improve as I enter more comps.

matthewsgolf

Club Champion
www.letsgolf.org
I think all golfers should have the option of playing NON comp rounds of the white tees if they want. It would be good practice for the comps.

It is strange that we practie of the yellow tees and then do it for real of the white tees.

Andrew

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally i think it depends on the hole-
some holes are more forgiving off the whites-the fairway bunkers/hazards are just out of reach whereas they are reachable from the yellows.

Could be mental-you concentrate more because you perceive the course is more difficult.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our course you have the "tee of the day" which moves every day, but you can play off any tee you wish the only stipulation is that you have to play every hole from these tees.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a par 3 thta was 220 of yellows and 240 off whits, I just played right at the back of the yellows and took a driver, hit the back of the green!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Royal Ascot allows you to play off the whites if you so choose. It has become my tee of choice as it makes the course longer and more challenging and helps me focus on the shots I need to play in competitions.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have white tees for members, and yelow for societies (to try and speed them up by making the holes shorter). The whites give a good test of the course.

But, we have the blocks, which are the competition tees. These are only used for comps, and make the course so much harder. Can only play off these in comps.

Ham

Medal Winner
Visit site
At our club nearly all the members always play off the whites, this definately helps when the comps come along.
There is one hole that they do make longer for certain comps a par 5 goes from 529 to 605 ??
I wouldn't mind but two holes before this is a 575 yard par 5.
I am well happy if I reach the fairway on either of these !

DCB

Visit site
Whilst I can see the benefit of playing off the whites and the course knowledge gained in doing so, I'm not sure that this is beneficial to the condition of the course.

If all players played off the whites on a daily basis, the whites would become a rather poorly turfed area to tee off from. We don't play from the whites unless it's a competition, either Medal or Matchplay. We only play off our full back markers for the Championship Matchplay stages, all other comps are off the white blocks. Generally the tees are good coondition because they are only played from on competition days.

The yellows, well they get moved to allow growth etc, but they can be a bit scabby at cetain times because of weather or amount of traffic.

Ham

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good point on the wear & tear, we have fairly wide and long tee areas on most holes so they can be moved around to prevent wear and the yardages only change a few yards in most cases. Often in the winter they are bought forward closer to the yellows.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Same here, all our whites are moved regularly (usually twice a week) and as we have fairly large tee boxes damage and wear is kept to a minimum.

One point worth noting though is that I would say 70-75% still play from the yellows as preference anyway. Certainly it is the standard for our seniors greedies on Tuesdays and Thursdays and for the early morning gang on a Saturday

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
we are allowed to play off the whites at my home course aswell which am goign to start doing as normally i just play off the yellows.

But i was at duff house royal the other day and they only allowed anyone to play off whites if its a comp or a tie match.