Playing my first 18 soon

SevenOverGolf

Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm playing my first 18 soon, I've got my second lesson on Wednesday which is an on course lesson.

Problem is, I'm so damn nervous for both.

I hit the range yesterday for a couple of hours practising with my irons & the occasional driver hit but they all go right, massively. I'm worried that I'll do something wrong on course & it'll just shatter my confidence.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Don't worry about it. You'll be terrible. But almost everyone is. You'll hit some good shots and bad shots. If everything is going right, aim left. You won't be the worst player on the course.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Huge difference between hitting balls on a range and hitting balls on the course.
Awareness of open spaces rather than the safe confides of the range.

Try not to panic
Do not grip the club tightly, try to swing slowly. [you actually won't be as the nerves will make you grip tighter and swing faster].
After the initial horror show I am sure you will be fine.
After all it is just hitting a ball with a club. Nothing to it.

Albo

Visit site
Just go for it and enjoy
You’re not doing this for a job it’s not anything that will make or break your week.
If you’re rubbish, you’re rubbish you won’t be the first nor the last, but you can’t let the fear hold you back, you pay your money you have the right to enjoy your time on the course and as much as it might not feel like it, others won’t notice or care about the standard of your play. Just keep your pace up, don’t spend ages looking for balls that are in the deep stuff and you’ll be grand

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck
Have you considered going out on a par 3 or 9 hole course first?
18 holes on a big course can be a pretty gruelling experience if it all goes bottoms up.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Enjoy! I remember mine well. Played horrific, but there were one or two great shots, and that was enough to keep me coming back for more punishment! ? not a lot has changed 6 years on!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
1) Give it your best, but don't care about the outcome of ANY shot you hit. Remember this and you will be fine.
2) Shout FORE! as required.
3) Remember point 1.

?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Lots of good advice on relaxing and enjoying the round but the OP is very unlikely to realise just how much they have to relax
@seveovergolf however much you think 'relax' means... Triple it! Especially on your backswing

Aim for Zero tension in your muscles and swing

Good luck

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you start playing it is a good idea to count the number of good shots you hit in 18 holes.
[BTW a good shot is not a bad shot that bounces off a tree and somehow ends on the green,;)]
It is a much better way of judging your progress than scores.
Good luck. let us all know how you did.

Fabia999

Visit site
Its a bit like learner drivers - everyone was one at some point and 99% of people understand that.

Just enjoy it and hopefully it brings confidence because that is so important :)