Playing in Wind

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,

Playing in windy conditions a few times recently has been a bit of a struggle for me. I tend to have quite a high ball fight which doesn't work terribly well hitting into the wind.

So, any techniques I can try to keep the ball flight lower?

Cheers!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
In a nutshell, longer to mid irons, ball back in the stance and hit through the ball leading with the hands a good 6+ inches ahead of the clubhead.
Bob will be along shortly to explain correctly though. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So, any techniques I can try to keep the ball flight lower?

Cheers!

2 things affect the height the ball goes....the club's loft and the amount the ball spins.
So first thing is to select a less lofted club.
Secondly, reduce the spin.
To do that you need to swing slower.
So a straighter faced club and a smoother shorter swing and maybe down the grip an inch or two.
If you want to take it down more, you can move the ball back in your stance an inch or two and see how that affects the ball flight.

[video=youtube;aRPAqER9JWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPAqER9JWQ&feature=related[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeup. Woods too.
Having said that, I wouldn't advise playing your driver too far back in your stance, you'll never get it off the ground.

If you are S&T I wouldn't suggest moving the ball back.
As your weight is so far forward anyway, you would already be hitting down on it a lot. Unless of course you have perfected the hip slide and tilt with the driver.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeup. Woods too.
Having said that, I wouldn't advise playing your driver too far back in your stance, you'll never get it off the ground.

Very true, maybe move it back a little (a ball or 2's width), grip down a touch and swing slower..... See how that flies?

The reason I asked if it was applicable to woods is our first hole normally has quite a bit of wind blowing into the tee or into it from left to right.

Keeping woods lower on this hole would be ideal.

Thanks for the tips Bob :thup:

Edit: Regarding the S&T Bob. The hybrid and fairway wood is fine, the driver is still a work in progress, but it's getting there slowly. Still, learning to lower the ball flight for windy conditions is something I consider definatley worth practicing.

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting. I'm always very quick swinged with my punchy low shot and usually end up not getting good contact or shanking them.

This is very helpful.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
club down and swing easier. it keeps the ball lower and more controlled. or the punch shot as described. both are effective.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a breeze...swing with ease.

In competitions scoring will always be much higher than you think......even allowing for your calculation of higher scores.

Set yourself realistic targets. eg 10 shots over what you would expect to score and keep plugging away.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So taking these tips on board I had an interesting round today at a very windy Gullane No 2.

Practiced both the punch and smoother swing on the range beforehand and seemed to manage both fairly well. But when I went on the course it was a struggle - my shots were still ballooning high in the air when played straight into the wind.

After a few holes I hit on the notion of playing a different ball, hopefully one with less spin (I had been using a penta). Things definitely improved then although I'm not sure how much was the different ball and how much was me adjusting to the conditions.

Very interesting scoring anyway; I was 7 over par for the first four holes (ouch!) and then 5 over par for the rest of the round. Would've been level par for the back nine if not for a stupid 3 putt at 17.

Thanks again for the advice.