Playing in the wind

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the second week running I've played in a howling wind. For the second week running the wind won 😭. Other than the usual 'play the ball back in your stance', which doesn't seem to work for me, what do people do that works in windy conditions?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you see it as a 1 club wind, play it as a 2 or 3 and hit it softer. The harder you hit it, the more spin, inc side spin, you put on it. The more spin, the more it balloons. Hit it soft with less spin.
What about a 3 club wind 😱? Hit softer then. Do you swing slower or go shorter backswing or both?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I certainly don't claim to be any expert but I do play a fair bit in windy conditions.
For me , the main thing is to do is to recognise it is tough for everyone and a good score in the wind is not the same as a c good score in calm conditions and recognise I will drop shots.
I dont try and posttion the ball any differently or play too much differently but think hit the ball solid rather than hit it long and play more shot s low to the ground and concentrate on taking a solid stance when putting.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me it’s always about committing to the club you’ve picked. If it an 8i usually and you pick a 7i, hit the bloody thing!

The amount of time I club up only to fail to commit to it and come up short.

D

Deleted member 3432

3/4 swing. And hit softer in any wind. If its a 3 club wind, play it as a 4 club wind.
This, and accept you will miss greens so a premium is placed on chipping and putting in windy conditions.

Factor in the wind when putting, especially side wind.

Can be great fun up to about a 5 club wind.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This, and accept you will miss greens so a premium is placed on chipping and putting in windy conditions.

Factor in the wind when putting, especially side wind.

Can be great fun up to about a 5 club wind.

I remember playing a 5 iron to your par 3 8th(?). It was about 130yds, 9 iron distance for me, and I hit a 5 about 180. It still only made the front edge at about 115yds. Some wind!

D

Deleted member 3432

I remember playing a 5 iron to your par 3 8th(?). It was about 130yds, 9 iron distance for me, and I hit a 5 about 180. It still only made the front edge at about 115yds. Some wind!

The 9th.

Its a great test of your swing and bottle standing on that tee in a strong wind!

Hit an 18 degree utility off that tee once never to be seen again.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Club up and swing easy, don't let ego stop you hitting a 5 iron 140 when your mates are all coming up 20 short hitting 7 and 8's.
I took driver into a par 3, 130yds, yesterday. Headwind not tailwind 😄. I have no ego in terms of what club to take, that ship sailed a long time ago.

I just need to hit the ball lower, cleaner and without any side spin. I'm not wanting much 😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In to the wind I tend to hit many more 'punched' shots with up to 3 clubs more to keep the ball low

Its a bit like throwing a ball, if you want it to go along the ground you release it quickly form you hands if you to to throw it high in to the air you wait until your palm is pointing skyward.

Down wind with very strong winds a ball thrown high in to sky to get benefit from wind assistance will sometimes get the opposite effect as the wind blows the ball downwards rather than forwards but it is difficult to play for this.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I took driver into a par 3, 130yds, yesterday. Headwind not tailwind 😄. I have no ego in terms of what club to take, that ship sailed a long time ago.

I just need to hit the ball lower, cleaner and without any side spin. I'm not wanting much 😂

Played the other night 20mph wind off the right with the river running along the right hand side (5th hole at Chester le street)

I’m fairly sure I could have hit 20 balls off the tee and everyone would have ended up in that bloody river

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
take more club and swing easy. Also try and use it, into will help stop the ball with chips and pitches.

i always enjoy playing in the wind, don't fight it