Playing holes out of sequence

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In a stableford (ie. strokeplay) competition today, some players chose to play some holes out of sequence. They played 1 to 9, then 13 to 18, then 10 to 12 (for entirely understandable reasons I won't bother you with).

Some people have questioned whether this is against the rules. My initial feeling was that the rules require a round of golf to be played in the correct order, but I can't find any such stipulation in rule 3-1 or 10-2. Reading these rules as they are worded, nowhere do I see any requirement to play the holes in order. I can't see any other rule in the index that might be relevant. Advice please!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a stableford (ie. strokeplay) competition today, some players chose to play some holes out of sequence. They played 1 to 9, then 13 to 18, then 10 to 12 (for entirely understandable reasons I won't bother you with).

Some people have questioned whether this is against the rules. My initial feeling was that the rules require a round of golf to be played in the correct order, but I can't find any such stipulation in rule 3-1 or 10-2. Reading these rules as they are worded, nowhere do I see any requirement to play the holes in order. I can't see any other rule in the index that might be relevant. Advice please!

Stableford and Strokeplay are the two main and quite different forms of scoring. You can't have played both. Stableford points or strokes played - what did you do?

As it happens I think you have to play holes in order unless there is a LR permitting an alternative tee start - but I am not 100% sure as I've never come across the scenario you have described.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know - but quite different scoring (though I know that for each hole you only actually have to record the gross score that you wish to have used for determining the points scored for each hole)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

From definitions in the rules:

Stipulated Round
The "stipulated round" consists of playing the holes of the course in their correct sequence, unless otherwise authorized by the Committee. The number of holes in a stipulated round is 18 unless a smaller number is authorized by the Committee. As to extension of stipulated round in match play, see Rule 2-3

The committee can authorise competitors to start at other than hole 1 (2-point starts, shotgun starts etc) but the sequence of holes has to be maintained.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be wrong, but l thought there was a Decision to do with this? But if there is, l can't find it. Can someone put me out of my misery by either saying where it is, or that I'm imagining things

(Ps: l found the one about inadvertently playing out of sequence being ok in matchplay, but i was thinking there's one to do with strokeplay)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be wrong, but l thought there was a Decision to do with this? But if there is, l can't find it. Can someone put me out of my misery by either saying where it is, or that I'm imagining things

(Ps: l found the one about inadvertently playing out of sequence being ok in matchplay, but i was thinking there's one to do with strokeplay)

You might be thinking of Decision 1G in the CONGU manual about shotgun starts being eligible to be qualifiers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How does that help in answering the question?

I was simply seeking clarification as I was not 100% of the answer. And because I was not sure of the answer it remained open in my thinking that their just might be a difference in the ruling if stroke scoring or points scoring were being used.

And yes I know that for stableford points scoring you actually only need to record the strokes played, but I was not clear upon the format - individual, pairs or team etc.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I was simply seeking clarification as I was not 100% of the answer. And because I was not sure of the answer it remained open in my thinking that their just might be a difference in the ruling if stroke scoring or points scoring were being used.

And yes I know that for stableford points scoring you actually only need to record the strokes played, but I was not clear upon the format - individual, pairs or team etc.

You've muddied the waters here massively - stableford IS stroke play. Don't confuse stroke play with the term medal. Happens all the time and boils my pee. :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've muddied the waters here massively - stableford IS stroke play. Don't confuse stroke play with the term medal. Happens all the time and boils my pee. :D

I know...but as I didn't know the answer I didn't know if there might be slight differences in the ruling depending upon whether you are scoring stableford or strokes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know...but as I didn't know the answer I didn't know if there might be slight differences in the ruling depending upon whether you are scoring stableford or strokes.

There's a time to stop digging ....

Clive worded his question extremely well by stating they were playing a stableford game, in other words under stroke play rules; you started by stating that he "couldn't be playing both", which was hardly a question.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a time to stop digging ....

Clive worded his question extremely well by stating they were playing a stableford game, in other words under stroke play rules; you started by stating that he "couldn't be playing both", which was hardly a question.

OK - I poorly worded my question on clarity. But when I think stableford I do not equate it with strokeplay - because the scoring is different. Our OP said stableford i.e strokeplay.. I felt there was some ambiguity in that. Clearly I was the only one who thought that. :(

I am sorry if I muddied the waters.