Playing golf when it's windy

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that the use of a wind gauge whilst playing would not be allowed under the rules of golf. So the only way I have of knowing is the forecast winds on the weather forecast. I have certainly been out on the course out a few times when I could hardly stand up at the very top of our course, but that was wind gusts rather than a constant wind.

I remember playing once when one of our par fives (normally nearly reachable in 2 ) was a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood and 8 iron and they were all good shots.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that the use of a wind gauge whilst playing would not be allowed under the rules of golf. So the only way I have of knowing is the forecast winds on the weather forecast. I have certainly been out on the course out a few times when I could hardly stand up at the very top of our course, but that was wind gusts rather than a constant wind.

I remember playing once when one of our par fives (normally nearly reachable in 2 ) was a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood and 8 iron and they were all good shots.

I can beat that 😀 played one of our par 4s driver, 3 wood ,3 wood, 9 iron 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the winds were as strong as mentioned I would be nowhere near a course or near a range. That seems an exercise in futility. Played when it's been strong in gusts and the unpredictable nature made it a lottery. Still enjoyed the challenge and would take that than trying to fight 60+mph winds constantly

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my favorite rounds this year was an absolute battering we got a ballyliffin. Blowing wind and rain from the first to the last.

2 of our 4 ball walked in after 9. I persuaded my mate to stay out till the death.

It was a battle the whole way around. I wore a left and right glove and that saved the day for me. The other guys could not keep hold of the club.

I was swinging poorly. Sliced it around the place. Chipped as well as i could. Shot 16 over and it was probably as good a score as i could make it those conditons and where my game was at on the day.

Went home oddly satisfied yet soaked like a drowned rat.

I dont want to do it again any time soon but once in a while it can be fun.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don't mind the wind, just struggle to get a good score in it. Don't mind the rain. But both.. Played last year in wind and sleet and the biggest snow flake you could imagine went straight down my right ear ole. I had instant Brain freeze, I thought I was having a stroke.. That was on the 8th. We walked in on the 9th which was at the clubhouse.