Playing golf when it's windy

D

Deleted member 3432

as i said just a moment ago, you are more likely to have a better swing starting of on a less windy parkland course than on a tough links track. you see some dodgy looking swings from some low players around here... could def be a good point

Flat calm day and you see links golfers almost falling over as we have so much weight on left side at address in our attempts to hit it low :LOL:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Question for any regular links players:

I understand that 95% of of Links Golf is played in Strong Winds, when you visit a Parkland course which might have less tough winds, do you feel that you gain an advantage and thus play better?

Yes definitely all my best scores over the last 5 years have been when I've played parkland/ heathland courses, came close to breaking 80 two years ago and will never get that on my home course , another example i played Edzell and Forfar earlier this year for the first time and scored 40 points both days.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i played in a comp this year when it was a 60MPH wind it was while the course was still rock hard, into was a doddle compared to downwind.... out 17th is 377 with a burn at 290, my pp hit a 6 iron off the tee and went straight in it, i took a 7 and only just stayed short. both chips went though the green into deep rough, easiest shot was the chip back into the wind;)

That's a ridiculous statement Patrick ,60mph winds are storm force 10 and impossible to play golf in.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes really , you’ve stated before playing in 40 mph winds gale force 8,and I would say that’s borderline playable.

60mph wind is impossible to play in. 👍

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Of course we do we’ve had 100 mph winds up here , just can’t play golf when it’s 60mph👍

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course we do we’ve had 100 mph winds up here , just can’t play golf when it’s 60mph👍

Yep get very high winds especially on the coast and on the islands - Benbecula and Saxa used to get battered with 60/70mph winds but there was no way you were able to play golf in it - most struggle to stand up straight in that level of winds. 30 mph is just about the level - maybe around 40mph at a push when it hits gale force but 60 mph ! Never golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You don't need to hit it hard, you actually need to club up more and hit it softer...

This is a spot on comment but so hard to do. Not the club up bit, that is obvious. It is slowing the swing, hitting softly. I know it works, I managed it recently during one round after reading it somewhere, but your mind is constantly saying swing harder because of the head wind. It is a battle and one I recently have lost. I should write it down somewhere.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It really does work to swing slower into the wind, I grip the club very lightly and wiggle the club just before takeaway ,this gives me a reminder to swing slowly. After awhile it becomes ingrained to swing slower and works for me.

Wolf

Visit site
This is a spot on comment but so hard to do. Not the club up bit, that is obvious. It is slowing the swing, hitting softly. I know it works, I managed it recently during one round after reading it somewhere, but your mind is constantly saying swing harder because of the head wind. It is a battle and one I recently have lost. I should write it down somewhere.
It really does work to swing slower into the wind, I grip the club very lightly and wiggle the club just before takeaway ,this gives me a reminder to swing slowly. After awhile it becomes ingrained to swing slower and works for me.

Think this is why I've always scored well in the windy conditions, I've always had a smooth almost lazy tempo to my swing since I first held a club. Always hit a fairly high ball to but in the wind I'm able to club up swing smooth and cut off my follow through making most shots punchy with a lower flight. Do the same when I'm not playing well to keep it in play.

Always loved watching the smoother swings to feel like that's what I alway aspired to as a junior and it stuck with me. Plus always remember a Lee Trevino quote if your ever playing bad play low ball golf to reduce Margin of errors it's no different to windy golf...

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love playing in the wind but hate it . I love the challenge but hate that conversation with fellows players is limited to shouting at each other as you cant hear them :p

D

Deleted Member 1156

i played in a comp this year when it was a 60MPH wind it was while the course was still rock hard, into was a doddle compared to downwind.... out 17th is 377 with a burn at 290, my pp hit a 6 iron off the tee and went straight in it, i took a 7 and only just stayed short. both chips went though the green into deep rough, easiest shot was the chip back into the wind;)
You have to be a good golfer to play in 60mph winds, well done sir (y)