Playing golf when it's windy

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you are any good at golf when playing in wind you have my utmost respect.

At times today it was purgatory.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I absolutely love golf when its windy, not saying i'm good at it though :D I think it certainly favours golfers with more shots to take.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like wind golf. It shows weakness in people’s games and highlights strengths in others.
It’s more a mental battle for most, they are beaten before they even tee Off

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorts the wheat from the chaff.

You have to be able to hit the ball high and low with either cut or draw spin.
You also have to have a good imagination and strategy.
Not many can do that

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's definitely a mental challenge akin to playing in the rain. I tend to accept the wind will affect my balls and play to let the wind move it left to right or right to left depending on its direction and accept that when it's into I may not hit the green in regulation but understand it's the same for everyone. I don't dislike the challenge but it's not ideal playing in strong winds. The biggest problem I find though is the way it affects tempo and I always swing way too fast and get very armsy in the wind

Wolf

Visit site
Always enjoyed playing in the wind think it's because I don't swing hard and fast, find clubbing up and gripping down the shaft and swinging smooth helps with control. I enjoy playing controlled punch shots and find trusting the swing helps, instead if chasing a score letting it develop naturally.

Probably why most of my good results come in those conditions..

Lashing down with rain on the other hand.... That's my nemesis of weather conditions I'd rather not bother..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not a lot of fun. If it's going across the hole, I just try and aim more left or right to compensate. If it's behind me, take a club off, but if I'm hitting into the wind even going a club longer seems to make no difference, I just have no chance.

The worst is going into the wind and left to right, as that'll turn a slight fade into a mega-slice.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's not a lot of fun. If it's going across the hole, I just try and aim more left or right to compensate. If it's behind me, take a club off, but if I'm hitting into the wind even going a club longer seems to make no difference, I just have no chance.

The worst is going into the wind and left to right, as that'll turn a slight fade into a mega-slice.
that means its more than a one club wind:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 21258

Love a windy day on the course, great fun.

Remember hitting three of my sunday bests driver, 5 wood and then a punched 4 iron into a par 4(425 yards) at Conwy, was laughing all the way up the hole.

That said, not sure I would want to play all my golf on links/exposed courses.