Playing conservative V going for it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends where your strengths are. I find Driver is a strength, so will hit it at every possible opportunity
Exactly this. If I had a 180 yard carry over some water, it would be foolish for me to go for that, since 8 times out of 10 I won't make it, so I'd be laying up if possible. But I'm quite happy to reach for the driver when required as I'm reasonably consistent with that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Exactly this. If I had a 180 yard carry over some water, it would be foolish for me to go for that, since 8 times out of 10 I won't make it, so I'd be laying up if possible. But I'm quite happy to reach for the driver when required as I'm reasonably consistent with that.
you should be banned for this comment on here, the answer should be a smooth 7 iron:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
you should be banned for this comment on here, the answer should be a smooth 7 iron:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well I mean it's simple, you can 'go for it' if going for it means using a club you're actually decent with. If going for it means having to use something that slap about all over the place, then maybe don't bother.

Personally I'm better with the driver than I am with a wood or hybrid, so that is one consideration I never really have to make. My only internal debate I get is when I've got a hybrid to the green (but risk slicing it, or maybe thinning it into a ditch), or I could lay up with a 7 iron then. So I weigh up the dangers, if there is a ditch, or hazards on the right then I'll go with the 7 iron. If it's relatively risk free I will give the hybrid a go.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well I mean it's simple, you can 'go for it' if going for it means using a club you're actually decent with. If going for it means having to use something that slap about all over the place, then maybe don't bother.

Personally I'm better with the driver than I am with a wood or hybrid, so that is one consideration I never really have to make. My only internal debate I get is when I've got a hybrid to the green (but risk slicing it, or maybe thinning it into a ditch), or I could lay up with a 7 iron then. So I weigh up the dangers, if there is a ditch, or hazards on the right then I'll go with the 7 iron. If it's relatively risk free I will give the hybrid a go.
whoosh!

D

Deleted member 21258

Do what floats your boat... if you like ripping the driver do that (and accept the consequences), if the score is paramount then hit the club you’re confident in even if that means throttling back 👍

This this this(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y):LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Don't care about scores, so hit driver everywhere almost, can think why I lose so many balls:unsure::p

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Really interesting replies here !
I just hate the thought of playing safe even though its clearly the sensible option. No better feeling than when that champagne shot pays off! Next medal round ill try plot my way around and see how I go.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
18th hole at my course is a big risk/reward hole.

Par 5, 460 yards, but for the average golfer, who carries a driver 200 to 220, you have a tiny landing area, with water and OOB right, and heavy trees left.

So many medal cards ruined on this hole.

If you gave me 100 attempts, i think I would score best on average taking 6 iron, 6 iron, wedge.

But alas, 100% of the time i whip out driver and try spank it down there, like everyone else, and laugh about the blowup on the last costing me the swindle win...

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
My home course is not overly long you got to plot your way around to score well especially on the front 9 as there’s a few card recking holes where the ball has to stay in play ,driving is a big part of my game and I’m pretty consistent with it but I’ve learned sometimes it’s got to stay in the Bag .

I can reach both of our par 5s just about in two in the height of summer but that’s if ,and I mean IF I get a good drive away and then absolute rip the 3 wood off the deck but this doesn’t happen very often more often or not I’d end up in all sorts of trouble! so now I lay up with a nice easy hybrid to give me a nice yardage in and play a wedge into it it’s worked well doing this . I also play like a 5iron off the tee on a couple of our par 4s basically for position and to keep the ball in play .

One thing I’ve learnt with golf leave the ego at home it’s about scoring well who cares what club your hitting you do what works for you .

JGolfer

Visit site
For myself it's very much depending how I am playing. 2 days had the same shot in to the 17th. Pin was right side of green about 5 paces from the front and 6 from the right. Bunker in front protecting it. 126 yards to carry the bunker. First day aimed center of the green and hit a fade to around 2ft. Next day decided the safe option was to just put it on the centre of the green. Only difference? The way I felt. First day I felt like I was able to play that shot. Second day wasn't feeling as great even though my score was similar.

All comes down to you and how your feeling. If you think you can pull it off. Be confident be proactive. If you look at the shot and your not feeling confident not feeling like you can commit. Then don't.

There is no right or wrong.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My main reason for playing is not competitions and the score. I look forward to hitting my best shots, or trying to.
As each shot presents itself, I strongly want to try the shot that would get anyone the best result: if sometime beforehand, I have pulled off the shot, then I think I can /should pull it off again- and thus I'll try it. Because when it comes off, it's such a great feeling. One such shot could make my day!
However, if I am in a. Competition as part of a team I will play "sensibly "
But really I just like friendly games where I can go for it!