Playing conservative V going for it

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening,
I've had a couple of beers and sat reflecting on this mornings midweek medal round. I have jumped back to 20 Handicap. I scored a net 72 this morning, having 3 7's on the card and an 8!
Now I quite clearly could have been way better but my confidence off the tee killed me. How do you all approach your round? Is it all or nothing or do you debate taking less off the tee and not being able to reach the green in 2? I find it quite hard where to go for it and where to just be sensible. If i hit 7 iron off the tee, 7, PW, in my head i would be way better off ? But I never do that and don't think thats my game.

How do you decide?

D

Deleted member 15717

Depends where your strengths are. I find Driver is a strength, so will hit it at every possible opportunity

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't always reach the green in 2 whatever I hit of the tee....so that equation is resolved for me before I get to individual holes!

However, if in could get there with 3 7 irons I can probably get there with 2 normal shots - and as I do miss the green with a 7 iron the equation is even less appealing.

If you can improve on your 7s and 8s then do so - seems silly not to.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played a tough course today. When I played conservatively I scored well, when I went for it I rarely scored. That largely says a great deal about my long game, long irons. It isn't good enough whereas my short game can be, note can be, solid.

You have to work out where your game is to come to your decision. Plenty will come on here and say go for it, you're an amateur etc but scoring well is more satisfying then messing holes up over and over going for 1 in 10 shots.

D

Deleted member 15717

Other way to look at it is in the Strokes Gained camp.
If you can pump it down there as far as you can, you’re going to have less club to hit in, and should, in theory hit it closer.

Figure out how to hit driver consistently and then hit it. In the meantime, hit the longest club you can feasibly hit!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends upon where I am in the round
Early in the round I will play conservatively because I know I will have a chance to recover a dropped shot.

Late in the round will depend on the score so far

Good round I can afford to drop a shot
Bad score I will go for it in the hope of recovering other dropped shots.

There is always however a shot where even in the best players in the world will never recover by going for it. It is the area where I see most higher handicappers compound the error by going for shots than even a very good pro would not take on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Boring answer but one shot at a time. I have a plan for the hole and if my drive goes into the right place I'll carry on with the plan based on length to the green, flag position and conditions. If I miss a fairway, I'll work out the best way forward and change my strategy accordingly. If I still have a chance to get to the green and the risk doesn't outweigh reward I'll go for it anyway and get close to the green and hope to chip and putt. If the lie or the risk is too much I'll got plan B, find the best recovery and go from there

D

Deleted member 1147

So you have a consistent error?

Perhaps you could choose based on your weaknesses.
ie, if you slice driver don’t use it on holes where you simply can’t afford to miss right, etc

User20204

Visit site
Homer's first line is spot on but we all fall for playing the stupid shot when a sensible option is usually the best option. Did it myself on Sunday, trying to drive the green at our 16th, came off it, lost ball, who am I kidding trying to reach the green on a par 4, down wind or not.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
If my driver is behaving then I’ll use that on the longer holes. If its on the naughty step then I’ll happily hit 4 or 5 iron off the tee

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Taking risks is never a good idea, Tiger's approach to playing the 18th at the Masters is a prime example.

Course management is key to good scoring. Not 3 putting is a big thing to aim for too.

Off 20, aiming to bogey every hole means you will be better than your handicap. Any hole where there is danger off the tee you should hit your "go to" club that is least likely to put you in trouble. I'm sure you will pick up some pars even if you are playing for a bogey.

Last edited:

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Rip it and grip it,in any sport I always want to see someone or some team win it by going for it rather than cautious play prevailing.Obviously did Nicklaus no harm but not a style I enjoy.Sure I’ve lost a few balls and matches but whatever,I revel in the highs and shrug my shoulders at the lows.Arnie V Jack,Shark V Faldo,Daly V Duval?? No contest as to who I’d be cheering on in each and then you have something like snooker...what would it be with Ronnie? Lots of great pros go for % play but it’s their living and big ££££ on the line for every shot,we play for fun

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, I played today on the course that I first joined some 20years ago as a beginner. I hit the ball really well following some intensive winter work and lessons but the 3 holes I messed up on were all trying a career best shot from a poor lie/position/distance. Play the better % shot is my next aim!