Player takes unsigned scorecard

Cringolian

Visit site
I played in a club competition last week which is over 2 rounds. Normal club procedure is to submit your scorecard into the score box provided in the committee room. However upon competing my first round on the way to the club house a fellow player asked for my scorecard because they were going to sit down and sort out the orders for the second round. I usually sit in the committee room check sign and put my card in the box. However not thinking at the time after just getting off the 18th green after holing a monster putt ;) I handed the player my card who took it away.I discovered I have been disqualified for an unsigned card.What is the ruling on this? As in my eyes I technically haven't checked or submitted my card officially.. It was taken from me by a player at an inconvenient time.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
unfortunately I can see you have no room to complain, you were caught unawares but the card was submitted unsigned so nothing other than DQ.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Me and my pp had this issue just two weeks ago. Betterball Stableford full handicap. We scored 50 points, winning score and the guys that we were playing with (pro shop staff) didn't give us the card to sign. It was then taken off them at the first tee instead of handing it in, in the clubhouse.

DQ no arguments. We were both gutted but that's the rules and through circumstance we didn't follow them. You can't argue though.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
The answer is DQ right enough

just something that im wondering, what standing in the club / comp did this fellow player have that he wanted your card and was organising the second round ..?

Was the second round straight away ( that couldnt work unless you stay in same groups ! could it ? )

So what was the rush to get your card im wondering .. ?

Guess you just got caught unawares , happens to us all at some stage , trick is to learn from it ..

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, signing your own card before handing it to your marker would be fine for me (infact I do it most times too ) but signing the cd you are marking before the round is a mistake for me ... what happens if you have a query about something you've already signed to say you agree with the markings (but you haven't actually marked anything yet ), I can just see it leading some issues.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, signing your own card before handing it to your marker would be fine for me (infact I do it most times too ) but signing the cd you are marking before the round is a mistake for me ... what happens if you have a query about something you've already signed to say you agree with the markings (but you haven't actually marked anything yet ), I can just see it leading some issues.

indeed - note the different wordings and instructions

"a. Recording Scores

After each hole the marker should check the score with the competitor and record it. On completion of the round the marker must sign the score card and hand it to the competitor. If more than one marker records the scores, each must sign for the part for which he is responsible.
b. Signing and Returning Score Card

After completion of the round, the competitor should check his score for each hole and settle any doubtful points with the Committee. He must ensure that the marker or markers have signed the score card, sign the score card himself and return it to the Committee as soon as possible. "

As to the OP, there would have to be a reasonable assumption available that your card was going to be returned to you prior to your returning it to the committee. On the wording above I can't see that at all. The only other question would be the definition of the scoring area by your committee (they have to define it) and if you hadn't left that area then you are able to sign the card. Most define it rather tightly but some have it quite wide to avoid many such situations.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
indeed - note the different wordings and instructions

"a. Recording Scores

After each hole the marker should check the score with the competitor and record it. On completion of the round the marker must sign the score card and hand it to the competitor. If more than one marker records the scores, each must sign for the part for which he is responsible.
b. Signing and Returning Score Card

After completion of the round, the competitor should check his score for each hole and settle any doubtful points with the Committee. He must ensure that the marker or markers have signed the score card, sign the score card himself and return it to the Committee as soon as possible. "

As to the OP, there would have to be a reasonable assumption available that your card was going to be returned to you prior to your returning it to the committee. On the wording above I can't see that at all. The only other question would be the definition of the scoring area by your committee (they have to define it) and if you hadn't left that area then you are able to sign the card. Most define it rather tightly but some have it quite wide to avoid many such situations.

I played in a club competition last week which is over 2 rounds. Normal club procedure is to submit your scorecard into the score box provided in the committee room. However upon competing my first round on the way to the club house a fellow player asked for my scorecard because they were going to sit down and sort out the orders for the second round. I usually sit in the committee room check sign and put my card in the box. However not thinking at the time after just getting off the 18th green after holing a monster putt ;) I handed the player my card who took it away.I discovered I have been disqualified for an unsigned card.What is the ruling on this? As in my eyes I technically haven't checked or submitted my card officially.. It was taken from me by a player at an inconvenient time.

I was going to ask could the OP state he didnt return the card , a fellow comp (still dont know his standing) asked for the card to check it and didnt return it for verification to op ..

Im guessing at the highlighted part in the OP as they were going to sort the order for the second round it suggests he would require a completed card , ie checked & signed

Still, always the players own responsibility for his card .... strange to me tho

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
yeah seems strange , a fellow player isn't getting his mitts anywhere near my scorecard

I also get the impression the 2nd round was the same day, so would've thought they'd DQ before it took place & not leaving the OP to discover themselves some time later

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah seems strange , a fellow player isn't getting his mitts anywhere near my scorecard

I also get the impression the 2nd round was the same day, so would've thought they'd DQ before it took place & not leaving the OP to discover themselves some time later

Would be messy playing 2 full rounds in one day if the second round was played in order of scores that morning , if you finished early with a good score it would be long wait around to play the last 18