Played one of my favourite courses today, left disappointed....

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
In work our accountant, my boss the director and myself organised a run out and since the nearest club (2 mins away) was booked out, I got to pick the course. I went for Shandon GC as I love the course and have played it frequently as a learner years ago with friends.
The course was always in 100% tip top condition, today it was the opposite, worm casts all over the very slow greens, bunkers not raked , crater-like pitchmarks on the greens and generally the place looked a little rough round the edges, I can only hope that recent weather has limited the greenstaff in what they were actually able to get out and maintain. Im playing there again in around a fortnights time and hope things are a lot better.
My question is this, if your club were usually meticulous in their presentation of the course, would you want the course to be open if the greenstaff were just not able to carry out their duties to their usual high standard?

I did birdie the last hole which was a miracle as every putt was short all day as the greens were that slow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My course has suffered over the last 12 months from less that perfect greens which to be honest for the money I'm paying were not up to scratch. Also a number of bunkers were poor with a lot of stones in them. However I wopuldn't contemplate leaving as a) the course is still new and maturing, b) the greens were as a result of a poor decision to cut them too short for last year club championship, c) the bunkers are being looked at and d) I love the atmosphere