Played from the wrong tee

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
In a recent society game we were playing off the yellow tees, my pp got to the tee box first and inadvertently played from the Whites
Without thinking I did the same
Our oppos pointed out the error and we both took 2 shot penalties and replayed the shots from the yellows.

Can someone confirm this is correct

Cheers

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
11-4 says you replay the shot from the proper teeing ground, and with a 2 shot penalty, so that sounds right. Of course, if the whites were less than 2 club lengths from the yellows, you could have got away with it...

Rule 11 - Teeing Ground

11-4 Playing from Outside Teeing Ground

a. Match Play

If a player, when starting a hole, plays a ball from outside the teeing ground, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke and play a ball from within the teeing ground.

b. Stroke Play

If a competitor, when starting a hole, plays a ball from outside the teeing ground, he incurs a penalty of two strokes and must then play a ball from within the teeing ground.

If the competitor makes a stroke from the next teeing ground without first correcting his mistake or, in the case of the last hole of the round, leaves the putting green without first declaring his intention to correct his mistake, he is disqualified.

The stroke from outside the teeing ground and any subsequent strokes by the competitor on the hole prior to his correction of the mistake do not count in his score.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it was stroke play, that's correct Phil. Rule 11-4b via Rule 11-5.

If it was match play, then there is no penalty. Your opponent has the choice of accepting the stroke or asking you to replay. Rule 11-4a

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It was a stableford therefore stroke play
Thought as much , I only asked because when I have fallen foul before it's because I've played from in front of the markers or played from the yellows rather than the whites, thus gaining an advantage

Here I played from the whites rather than the yellows so no advantage ,
Now I know
Cheers

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
when I have fallen foul before it's because I've played from in front of the markers or played from the yellows rather than the whites, thus gaining an advantage

Here I played from the whites rather than the yellows so no advantage ,
Now I know
Cheers

Sometimes it's advantageous playing off a tee further back......better angle on a dog leg for example

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In a match I once inadvertently teed off from the red (ladies) tee. I then went back and played 3 off the tee from the correct white tee. Found out after the match that there was actually no penalty for teeing off from the wrong tee in match play. Your opponent(s) can either allow the original shot to stand (if you hit it into the cabbage), or ask you to retake it from the correct place (if it went miles down the middle!). In stroke play I have made the same mistake as the OP and teed off from the white instead of the yellow tee. As the white tee markers where more than 2 club lengths behind the yellows, I had to retake the shot under penalty of 2-strokes. It is definitely worth knowing the rules in these situations, as you risk a DQ in stroke play competitions.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've teed up on the wrong tee on a couple of occasions, but luckily I wan't playing with knobs that waited until I'd hit the ball before they told me.

Not saying this is the case with the OP because it doesn't say, but I've never understood anyone that lets you take a penalty when they could help you avoid it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...As the white tee markers where more than 2 club lengths behind the yellows, I had to retake the shot under penalty of 2-strokes....

Also worth noting, that if the distance was less than 2 club-lengths (and inside the bounds of the markers) then there would be no penalty - something that can easily be the case in Winter, but forgotten in the chaos of realising that the 'wrong tees' were used!

Marc Cools

Medal Winner
Visit site
I always have my little rule book with me. When in doubt, I check it. I think that is a good habit and a way to learn the rules as well. Not only for you but also for the other players in your flight. It is an efficient and soft way of learning the rules.
A lot of people play a game that looks like golf but with there very own set of rules. That's OK but it is not golf. Knowing the rules is as important as playing the game; it IS the game.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I sometimes forget how harsh rules can be, getting punished when you accidentally made the hole longer for yourself

But, as Rick said, longer doesn't necessarily mean harder. It might have been a better angle or maybe a better distance for club selection. The rules need to be strict to prevent abuse.