Planning for winter heating

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's a while off yet but I've been thinking about possibilities....

Like many people I'll still be working from home a lot (at least 3 days per week) this coming winter. With spiralling energy costs what will you do to keep warm if you're spending hours at your keyboard?

I'm looking into halogen heaters, low level panel heaters, extra clothing, bubble wrap on windows, hand warmers etc all with a view of not running central heating for multiple hours per day.

What's your thoughts?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Like many people I'll still be working from home a lot (at least 3 days per week) this coming winter. With spiralling energy costs what will you do to keep warm if you're spending hours at your keyboard?

I'm looking into halogen heaters, low level panel heaters, extra clothing, bubble wrap on windows, hand warmers etc all with a view of not running central heating for multiple hours per day.

What's your thoughts?

A hot water bottle isn't a bad idea. Stays warm for ages after you have made yourself a tea

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

What's your thoughts?

If it's compulsory you work from home then it's upto your employer to give you expense's to cover costs.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Heated throws are pretty good and can be as low as 1p an hour. Aldi do one for about £35. Might be ok draped around your shoulders or over you legs?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's back to techniques from yesteryear really. As my gran use to do, have a heater for one room during the day, only use the central heating as though you were working in the office still.

Do your homework but I think a halogen heater is probably best, as you have suggested.

It's a depressing situation but one many will be facing.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
It's back to techniques from yesteryear really. As my gran use to do, have a heater for one room during the day, only use the central heating as though you were working in the office still.

Do your homework but I think a halogen heater is probably best, as you have suggested.

It's a depressing situation but one many will be facing.

The cynic in me is thinking it's all a conspiracy to get people back to office's/workplace's.

Rents need paying on all those commercial properties in cities up and down the country.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

What's your thoughts?
I don't need much, generally through the winter i don't put eating oin while working. That's rural aberdeenshire, perhaps man up a bit?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

What's your thoughts?

Wear layers. A down body warmer.

I used to work in an office that had no central heating only an infrared heater. https://www.bisonproductsltd.co.uk/product/redrad-3kw-rebel-230v/ I used to wear thermals under my clothing and fingerless gloves to work in first thing until it warmed up. Went in one year between Christmas and New Year and the printer wouldn't work as it was so cold. I didn't stay to work that day lol

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The cynic in me is thinking it's all a conspiracy to get people back to office's/workplace's.

Rents need paying on all those commercial properties in cities up and down the country.
That would be a pretty blunt way of doing it, with huge collateral damage. Recent times make you think like that though...................

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Local coffee shops in town could be busy. And if you still have a local library...well that was always preferred by the 'down and outs'.

What an utter disgrace that this is even being talked about, with a fair bit of gaslighting and hand-wringing about it going on by those who could effect the change required to make it unnecessary.

As someone might have said...'Some of you may starve or freeze...but that's a risk I'm willing to take'

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
unfortunately this topic cannot be discussed in its full capacity as to how we got here in the first place because of political decisions made. successive powers that be put all our eggs into one basket re energy being solely supplied by overseas power because it is the cheapest option. We are now were we. I have a feeling that we in the golfing fraternity will manage. My thoughts go to the less wealthy and elderly who will really struggle ☹️

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
unfortunately this topic cannot be discussed in its full capacity as to how we got here in the first place because of political decisions made. successive powers that be put all our eggs into one basket re energy being solely supplied by overseas power because it is the cheapest option. We are now were we. I have a feeling that we in the golfing fraternity will manage. My thoughts go to the less wealthy and elderly who will really struggle ☹️

I think that's it exactly Tashy, I'm not necessarily going to "struggle" with the bills.... But at the same time I don't want to be complicit in wasting money on heating when there are smarter/better alternatives to heating me alone in my house for a few days per week.

I feel for those who genuinely will have to choose whether they heat or eat.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
What do you mean solely supplied by overseas power ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What do you mean solely supplied by overseas power ?

when we moved away from fossil fuels ( and we should have in my view), nothing was in place to fill the void created apart from energy produced overseas eg nuclear and gas. We did that because it was cheaper. Slowly solar and wind is filling that void but not quick enough.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One guy [ a widower ] I know turns his heating to frost protection and spends most days at the golf club.
He has breakfast there, sometimes plays a few holes, then has a shower, late lunch/snack, reads all the papers, has a couple of drinks, sits and watches the telly all afternoon, and talks to everyone that'll listen.
Getting used to he care home environment then. :rolleyes: