Planets...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why aren’t asteroids round? There has be some, described as “the size of a small planet”
And what about those planets beyond our solar system, we still assume they are round?

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
So why aren’t asteroids round? There has be some, described as “the size of a small planet”
And what about those planets beyond our solar system, we still assume they are round?
Their gravitational force isn’t as strong in an asteroid so they don’t attract surrounding material to form a round object. They don’t encounter much erosion either, in space, to ground them down. They’ll often be irregular shaped as they’re the forms they take from their birth or from bashing against other asteroids.

All evidence shows us that other planets are round.

They could obviously be different shapes if they collide with big enough objects but if left to form by themselves in the normal way, they’ll be round.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Because of gravity.
No such thing as gravity.
There is only freefall.
If you believe conventional science we are on a turning world which travels at about 60,000 miles an hour through curved space.
Space is curved because of a large body, mostly due to the Sun.
But it doesn't tell what really happens.
The ancient Greeks were right to doubt the existence of time and motion.
In the case of Zeno's Paradox an arrow never reaches it target.
What thuds into the target is not the same arrow as left the bow, only one copy of many copies through parallel worlds.
What you perceive to be a planet is just one copy of it that has reached your eyes.
There are in reality an infinite number of copies.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sometimes what I perceive to be a post is just one copy of it that has reached my eyes. There are in reality an infinite number of copies ;):p

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
There is only freefall.
If you believe conventional science we are on a turning world which travels at about 60,000 miles an hour through curved space.
What thuds into the target is not the same arrow as left the bow, only one copy of many copies through parallel worlds.
What you perceive to be a planet is just one copy of it that has reached your eyes.
You truly are one incredibly strange person.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is only freefall.
Yeh, right!!

But only if you chose to follow one strand of interpretation...

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeh, right!!

But only if you chose to follow one strand of interpretation...
If there are others, please supply references.
I forgot to mention David Deutsch and Carlo Rovelli, where it gets even too weird for me.
In the Copenhagen Interpretation (Niels Bohr) then there are only waves in the universe which become particles only when observed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, I've followed the thread and will ask the obvious question....

What makes you think they should not be ?
The randomness and chaos of life, the universe etc suggests that they could be all sorts of shapes, until you read and understand why they are round. Everything being round is too organised, were there not a reason why.

It's something I had never thought of before but I think it was a cracking question for those not versed in this area.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
The randomness and chaos of life, the universe etc suggests that they could be all sorts of shapes, until you read and understand why they are round. Everything being round is too organised, were there not a reason why.

It's something I had never thought of before but I think it was a cracking question for those not versed in this area.

There’s clearly a weird agenda to this thread which hasn’t been revealed yet. When answered, the OP came back with some weird nonsense about no friction and lack of gravity in space. I’m half expecting it to be to do with flat Earth.