Pitching has gone to pot

bradleywedge

Visit site
Pitching, not chipping. Quite confident around the greens chipping and running with an 8 iron towards the hole but it's the pitching from 80 yards in and around the greens I'm struggling with. Can't seem to judge the loft and flight required to get to the hole. I'm using Vokey wedges, can I blame them? Are they difficult to use for mid/high handicappers? can't remember my short game being this bad, maybe I'm just rusty from the layoff and haven't got the feel back?

Can anyone suggest some easy to use forgiving wedges around the green?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
from 80 yards I use my 60 degree rtx3 wedge and its a nice relaxed swing as I don't like to over hit my wedges

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
from 80 yards I use my 60 degree rtx3 wedge and its a nice relaxed swing as I don't like to over hit my wedges

Is 80 yards not a full swing with a 60 degree wedge? I don't think I could hit one that far.

I never hit my lob wedge full out as I find the distance very inconsistent.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pitching, not chipping. Quite confident around the greens chipping and running with an 8 iron towards the hole but it's the pitching from 80 yards in and around the greens I'm struggling with. Can't seem to judge the loft and flight required to get to the hole. I'm using Vokey wedges, can I blame them? Are they difficult to use for mid/high handicappers? can't remember my short game being this bad, maybe I'm just rusty from the layoff and haven't got the feel back?

Can anyone suggest some easy to use forgiving wedges around the green?
Not many better wedges than Vokeys.
Just lost your feel / rhythm after a long layoff.
Don’t be buying until your back to playing properly.
Blaming the clubs dosnt work really.
Bit of practice / chipping lesson will sort it out And a lot cheaper.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last summer I used to go down to my course in the evenings when it was empty and play the back nine, every time I had a pitch shot which I mis-judged the distance on, I would drop another ball and do it again. Do that for a few weeks and eventually you start to remember what the right answers were. (Obviously keeping a mental note of what the yardages were.) Now I just remember that 50 yards is half swing 50°, 70 yards is half swing PW, and so on. Then I suppose you don't have to rely on judgement (or lack of it), it's just memory based on experience.

CountLippe

Visit site
Perhaps you could try playing all your chips shots with your lob wedge. This will get your confidence back hitting the lofted clubs. Pitching should come naturally after that.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Practice is the key for me when it comes to pitching.

Without it I end up going way long or undercooking it.

I also find resetting my pitching goal helps.

Now I target the middle of the green with pitch shots, if I miss long, short, left or right I am at least still on the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a flaky short game and have used the linear method

However as recommended on here I looked at a different (although not too dissimilar) method and this guy

I worked on it in the garden with air balls and while the chipping is still a bit nervy for me it is better and the chipping on the course far improved.