PING G15 : The "most forgiving" Driver ?

Oops!

Hacker
Visit site
15-20 years ago, I used to play regularely, had to stop for lack of time back then, but restarted recently with a (used) set of PING G15 irons (3-SW, rather good condition) and a matching G15 wood 5.

What I'm still looking for is a (really) very forgiving driver and wood 3, which were avaliable in this series, too, even if I preferred an iron 3 back then : Wood 5 always was a safe bet, but wood 3 and even more the driver rather were a kind of gamble : Either the ball flew quite straight in a perfect trajectory or (about 80 %) not at all because I couldn't get it off the ground... ! :(

The G15 driver often is described as really very forgiving, but today it's quite hard to find (rh, regular flex, 10,5°). Besides I wonder if there are even "better" ones today - progress never stops, does it ?!? ;)
Or is it worth to keep on looking for a G15 driver (and wood 3) ? :confused:

Joachim.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a G15 several drivers ago and to be fair it was probably THE most forgiving driver ever for me, and I seemed to rarely miss a fairway with it. unfortunately it was not as long as other drivers I've replaced it with, and current find the TM M2 the best of the bunch

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasnt a fan of my G15 driver back in the day.. 3 wood was pretty decent

shame if you had posted this last year I would have sold you mine

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your looking for forgiveness you'd do well to beat the K15.
I remember trying one out on the course a while back, I think I could've got a decent strike blindfolded.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I preferred the G10,still use one now.
I've tried a couple of different drivers in the past but end up putting the G10 back in the bag.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out my bag (in the signature)....

Still an awesome club. I have two actually. A 12 degree and a 10.5 degree.

I never liked the 3 wood. My 3 wood is more 'old school' with a deeper face and less wide. (Taylor Made R5 dual)

If the K15 Driver is as forgiving as the K15 irons, it must be pretty special. The K15 irons are off-the-planet forgiving.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Check out my bag (in the signature)....

Still an awesome club. I have two actually. A 12 degree and a 10.5 degree.

I never liked the 3 wood. My 3 wood is more 'old school' with a deeper face and less wide. (Taylor Made R5 dual)

If the K15 Driver is as forgiving as the K15 irons, it must be pretty special. The K15 irons are off-the-planet forgiving.

But they're so ugly.

jeffroisere

Visit site
Yeah im still using my g10 driver as well and apart from you can adjust the loft on newer drivers i still think the g10 can keep up with the newer drivers its all about the shaft.My one has a regular proforce shaft and i hit it better than my 3 wood.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had a G15 several drivers ago and to be fair it was probably THE most forgiving driver ever for me, and I seemed to rarely miss a fairway with it. unfortunately it was not as long as other drivers I've replaced it with, and current find the TM M2 the best of the bunch

I replaced mine with a G20... wish I'd kept the G15.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Their 5 wood is outstanding .. been in my bag 3 years and not even thinking of replacing it (only club that hasnt been replaced over time...)

their hybrids for G15s I hated though.. proper awful

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
@ chrisd: Hm - I'd prefer accuracy to some yards more by all means ... ! ;)

Accuracy is important but I then moved to a Callaway X2Hot driver that went miles further and was only slightly less forgiving, sometimes it's about the 2nd shot and I'd rather hit, say, an 8 iron than a 6 iron into a green for accuracy too