Ping Blueprint irons

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play Mizuno blades in my heyday but as I am getting older the swing isn’t as fluid.
I could still use them I think .
But nobody drives cars without power steering , air con ,etc any more.
I am built for comfort now and my new AP2s are going well.
Nice clubs though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect that’s true...but I also suspect a lot of new players (like me) have, or had, no idea that some clubs are supposed to be scary.

I‘ve only come to know this because of seeing YouTube videos of PGA pros doing “Can a mid handicapper hit blades” videos, where they talk about a thick top line and a big club head being “comforting”, and blades being intimidating.

Without having seen someone say that, it would never have occurred to me to feel any differently based on the appearance of the club.
I bought the tp18s playing off a 23 handicap. I practiced every day because I hadn’t got a job but was doing some further education that gave me some cash. I dropped my handicap to 12 and then bought some Ping zing 2 irons that were fitted to me. My handicap then dropped to 3. But that was mainly due to my putting and a yardage gain from the new irons.
Starting with blades if you have the time to practice isn’t a bad thing.
But my point was today’s blades are amazingly forgiving compared to the ones of 10+ years ago.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also another caveat, I feel with a small head and bad lie more comfortable. I feel like I will cut my way to the ball and not get turned over ... could be pure imagination though 🙄

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
These Pings are very, very nice indeed - but I'm just not going to spend £170 on a golf club. However Crow's Mizuno Pro MS-3 blades look very attractive all round...:unsure: I have always fancied a set of Mizuno blades...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started with blades as that was all there really was back in the day and so these Pings do appeal. However as I've got older and more erratic I am appreciative of cavity backs and all the help modern clubs give. I am sure if I was to hit these I'd find a way to get it round but on the bad ball striking days it would be a struggle

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I started with blades as that was all there really was back in the day and so these Pings do appeal. However as I've got older and more erratic I am appreciative of cavity backs and all the help modern clubs give. I am sure if I was to hit these I'd find a way to get it round but on the bad ball striking days it would be a struggle

But isn't the same true on bad ball striking days with your modern irons? (Not just you but all of us)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But isn't the same true on bad ball striking days with your modern irons? (Not just you but all of us)

I would agree up to a point but aren't cavity back clubs designed to have a bigger sweet spot and because of their design off centre hits will still go a reasonable distance. In the old days of blades, and not sure if it still applies to modern versions like these Pings, miss the centre by too much and there was a significant drop off. I know the OP said he only saw a 5-7 yard drop but I wonder if that drops more the higher the handicap and more erratic the strike?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I know where there's a set of great condition Mizuno Pro MS-3 blades (regular Dynaflex 2200 shafts) going for £120 delivered if you're interested.
(That's a tenth of the price of the Pings with one more club..... :whistle: )

75285847_10156981731006448_3700519233545830400_n.jpg

So what do the fronts look like... 🤔

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really interesting, i blade came off better, and not that offensive to look at. I will say though, those fairways and the lies were beautiful, I am pretty sure I could hit the ball pretty sweet the majority of the time off the those. I wonder had he put it some one else's huge divot what would have happened apart from starting a trench!

The other thing is, the amount of shaft options. I think Ping have a reputation for being more about the engineering than the appearance. Leading me to think all the shafts offered will work, but they are pretty limited and would you upset the balance by choosing something outside of the portfolio?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I hit a very nice and very sweetly struck 7i last time out (a rare thing but becoming more common again). One of the guys I was playing with commented that my strike sounded lovely - was I playing forged? I do - and it was so sweet that I barely felt the strike. But he could tell. :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hit a very nice and very sweetly struck 7i last time out (a rare thing but becoming more common again). One of the guys I was playing with commented that my strike sounded lovely - was I playing forged? I do - and it was so sweet that I barely felt the strike. But he could tell. :)
Yes you can hear the strike of a good player.

Game Improvement irons are quite dull even out of the middle.
But flush a blade and you don’t even feel it.